Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need Larger JPEG Files for Blurb Photobooks

I'm finding, as I make my first photobook (using Blurb's BookWright), that the JPEG files created in iPhoto '08's Export window, from my Nikon D300 RAW files, are not large enough to allow me to choose full bleed double page spreads for 13" by 11" size pages. My JPEG files, generated by iPhoto '08, are about 5 megabytes up to about 12 MB. The original RAW files are about 15 MB.

The BookWright software says it won't use image files larger than 15 MB so I assume that size will be big enough for the full bleed double page layout.

The BookWright application always gives me warning signals that my landscape format JPEG files, the largest of which are about 12MB won't print at high quality for a full bleed double page size - that is about 26" by 22" when the book is open.

Will larger JPEG files solve this problem? If so, how can I make larger JPEG files from my RAW files? What app/software will do that for me?

Or, what size RAW files do I need to start with to be able to convert to JPEG files of at least a 15 MB size?

Better yet, which processing app will give me the ability to choose the size of the various kinds of files I want to make from my RAW files?

Thank you.

George Ollen

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2008), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Sep 28, 2015 4:01 PM

1 reply

Sep 28, 2015 5:21 PM in response to MrOllen

You are chasing the wrong rabbit

File size does not translate to printable image size

what DPI does BookWrite need (or do you want) - once you have that and the printed image size third grade math gives you the needed pixel dimensions of the image - file size no where enters into the equation

for example if you have a 26" x 22" print and if you want a 300 DPI print then you need a 26*300x22*300 image or a 7800 x 6600 image - one you set the parameters the math is trivial and file size is not a part of it in any way - and iPhoto gives you every thing you need

as an example a 7800 x 6600 image can be stored in a file size that ranges 2.15 MB to 308.9 MB depending on file creation settings - exact same image size but file size wildly varies

LN

Need Larger JPEG Files for Blurb Photobooks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.