Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6S Plus app compass/compass issues

I've found that the compass for my new 6S Plus won't calibrate and always points, or redirects North. Having mapping and navigation issues through apps that use the GPS and compass to direct. My prior 6 Plus did not have these directional issues and held them both to compare. A Co-founders of one of the apps wrote back this morning confirming that this issue was consistent (earlier phones unaffected) with their new 6S and 6S Plus phones they received. Also said that they too have noticed similar issues with other apps (not all) using the compass, and that it may be a bug in iOS that affects the new phones.

Has anyone else been experiencing issues with the compass or apps that use the compass? Or, does anyone have suggestions on how to resolve?

Thank you

iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 9.0.1

Posted on Sep 28, 2015 4:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2017 6:40 PM

My compass was frozen also. I had been using google maps before it froze so I went back to Apple maps and used it to see if it was working correctly. It took a little longer than usual but it fixed the compass issue.

10 replies

Oct 13, 2015 3:31 PM in response to TheRocks-Apple

I am on iOS 9.0.2 with my iPhone 6s. The compass seems to point in random directions. It may be correct, then I'll dismiss the app, go to it again, and it will be pointing in a totally different direction. This is despite turning on/off, hard resetting and resetting all settings (as advised by Apple Support). Naturally enough, this affects apps that depend on knowing the direction eg. direction I'm facing in Google maps, Apple maps, Starwalk, and other augmented reality apps. I have a Genius appointment this week. I suspect there may be an iOS related problem here.

Oct 14, 2015 3:49 PM in response to pjos

Apple online chat support suggested "Reset all Settings" as well. It seemed to work, but if I turned off the phone and turned it back on again, problem came back exactly as before. When location services were turned back on, same problem. If I turned location services off, the compass didn't move at all. I checked out about 15 different iphone 6s and 6s+ in the Apple Store and various telcos. All THEIR compass apps worked normally with location services off EXCEPT ONE PHONE. The genius at the Apple Store looked at it, but couldn't work it out. On his phone, the compass calibrated with the rolling ball. This has NEVER happened on mine, which he thought was strange. They said they would give me a new phone. Such a pain, as I rely on the compass on offline maps when overseas and it worked perfectly on my iPhone 5s.

iPhone 6s iOS 9.0.2

Oct 14, 2015 10:11 PM in response to roddlez

Suddenly had a Eureka moment. I took the phone out of its leather case for about a minute. Suddenly the compass and associated apps worked properly. When I put it back in the case, it stopped working again. Seems the case it was in had a stronger than usual or strangely placed magnetic closure which stopped the iPhone compass calibrating. Armed with this knowledge, I bought a new case with only a very weak and tiny magnetic flap. I havent had a problem since. When I put the old case near the phone, the compass goes haywire. I'm so glad it wasn't the iPhone after all. Be careful with magnetic flaps on cases. Take the phone out of the case for a few minutes so that any residual effects can dissipate before testing whether it was the case or not. Hope this helps.

Oct 17, 2016 4:05 PM in response to pjos

I have version 10.0.2 and now the compass needle does nothing on the initial screen except sit stuck @ "N". The needle used to move but does nothing now. There is a faint gray circle with a "+" in the middle. It moves around a little inside the compass target. Tap and it puts "359" at "N" where "0" is, tap again it shows just "0" up there again. Slide over and a black background is displayed with a black circle with a "-1" in the center as you lay it down on a surface. Two white circles are behind it. Pick it up and start to tilt the phone, those white circles go all over the place and the numbers start changing and are all negative... Flipping the phone face down and tilting changes numbers to positive values and the black background is now white with 2 black circles.. This is one of the most ridiculous things I've seen..

iPhone 6S Plus app compass/compass issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.