Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot hide purchased apps on iOS 9?

Before iOS 9 update, I was able to hide purchased apps on iTunes and iPhone's app store. Now, I am not able to do that on either one. What happened to this option?

iPhone 6, iOS 9.0.1, null

Posted on Sep 28, 2015 6:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2015 10:26 PM

Make sure Family Sharing is enabled > http://www.igeeksblog.com/how-to-hide-purchased-apps-on-iphone-ipad-in-ios-8/

10 replies

Oct 4, 2015 1:04 AM in response to mg_ant

I had the same problem also but I finally worked out how to do it. You will notice in the apps the top left hand corner is rounded. If you move your mouse just above the rounded you will see a hand pointer appears. Then right click and the app will disappear. It does not ask you if you wish to hide it it just disappears. If you then go to your account and look in "Manage Hidden Apps" you will see it there as usual and you will be able to unhide it in the future if you wish. The only thing that needs to be fixed is for Apple to put the cross back so we can all see what we are doing!! And they should bring back the menu that pops up telling you what you have done and do you wish to go ahead. It took me all day to work this out LOL Extremely frustrating Apple!!

Jun 29, 2016 5:16 PM in response to mg_ant

For what its worth, as of June 29, 2016, using iOS 9.3.2, the problem persists. To wit, slide an app, the word "Hide" appears, one selects "Hide", the app's icon momentarily vanishes, only to reappear once the App Store screen is refreshed. Thus the word "Hide" on the slider is virtually meaningless. The previous advice—that being, hide the app using iTunes on a laptop—is the only manner in which I have been able to accomplish the desired end. (A quite necessary discovery for me, to avoid an App Store screen littered by the plethora of tried-and-rejected fremiums.)

Jun 29, 2016 8:09 PM in response to F J Poblam

Hi,

When you click on "Hide" in the App Store on a device, all that does is remove the icon from your Home screen. What you see listed once you refresh the App Store screen is the same app with the little cloud and down arrow next to it, which means that it is no longer visible on the device, and is now in iTunes in the Cloud, and can be re-downloaded if desired.

When you are looking at the Purchased tab on your device, you are looking at all purchases. To not see purchases that are in iTunes in the Cloud, you have to hide them via iTunes on your computer. Go to the App Store in iTunes, click on Purchased, click on All, find the App you no longer wish to see listed with the iCloud download icon on your device, hover over the top left-hand corner, and click the "x" to hide it:

HIDING AND UNHIDING PURCHASES

This is how it works, it is not a "problem", but a design. If you would like to see that changed, then send your feedback to Apple here: Apple - Feedback

Best of luck,

GB

Jun 29, 2016 8:35 PM in response to gail from maine

Interesting idea, but as I said, "Hide" is meaningless for an app that is Purchased but is NOT on my Home Screen (i.e., not downloaded to begin with). I have several apps of that sort. Visible in Purchased but not downloaded. Still there, with the cloud/arrow indicating download available. Swipe/Hide is still available for these, and still meaningless. But your comment is duly noted.

Thanks.

Jun 29, 2016 9:30 PM in response to F J Poblam

I agree that the "Hide" option on the iOS device is misleading at best. I tried all sorts of things to make it hide the app from my view, the view of someone I was testing Family Sharing with, all to no avail. Seems like the only way to successfully hide the app is via iTunes on your computer. Maybe they are working on making that local Hide work more efficiently with Family Sharing specifically....

Cheers,

GB

Cannot hide purchased apps on iOS 9?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.