Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

is there a way to remove PUA.OSX.IronCore from my mac?

My computer has been hit by something called PAU.OSX.IronCore.
There is information on it (you don't want it)

BUT no information so far on how to find the related file and delete it from a mac.
Or which anti-virus system can deal with it.

Has anybody had success with this issue - and is willing to share instructions?

Thanks

Sarah

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Sep 28, 2015 8:40 PM

21 replies

Sep 29, 2015 4:11 AM in response to lllaass

I have a Webroot Anti-Virus system and at the moment every time I start up within a minute or so it sends me a message saying it has found
PUA.OSX.IronCore. Then a scan isolates two or three files I am familiar with (just harmless word docs) that are now tagged by the antivirus system as being infected by the IronCore. I have googled it and apparently there are a few adware (malware) companies targeting macs with these malwares: mac apparently is not yet equipped to deal with them and neither are any anti-virus schemes. mac themselves recommended MalwareBytes program, which DID find and remove a trojan file with a name that was mentioned when I was googling these viruses. I thought I was set - but next time I started up there it was again.

Apparently they come in to your computer attached to seemingly valid downloads (from sites such as softonic). See image of the two files thought to be troublesome - i have deleted them about five times so far but the screen just keeps bringing them up.User uploaded file

Thanks for taking the time!

Sarah

Sep 29, 2015 3:00 PM in response to Werac

Werac wrote:

And my current anti-virus is Webroot.

Get rid of it.

"Webroot" may prove difficult to uninstall. Please read my first reply to this recent Discussion: Re: remove best buy webroot

"softonic" is not a trustworthy source of Mac software. Neither are any other "download aggregator" websites primarily supposed by advertising revenue, including but not limited to "C Net Download", "Download dot com", "Mac Update Dot Com", "Soft Pedia Dot Com" etc. Never obtain software from any of those sites, or any others not explicitly authorized by the respective software's developer. If in doubt, constrain your software purchases to the Mac App Store.

Sep 29, 2015 8:28 PM in response to Werac

To Kurt, Linc, John and Barney,

thanks all for bothering to get back to me!

Have read all responses.
Taking Mac into Apple on Friday to see what they can do.
Will get rid of Webroot.

After years of being a PC owner I feel nervous about the idea of having no anti-virus.
I do not surf and am very cagey about anything that comes to me rather than me going calling it up.
Online reviews suggested Kaspersky was compatible with macs.

Might try that.

And yes, I realised the Webroot was most often reacting when I tried moving files to and from a USB.

Thanks all for help -

do you guys wish to know outcome of Apple has any new info or a solve?

Sarah

is there a way to remove PUA.OSX.IronCore from my mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.