Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple ID - Multiple Countries - Expats

Apple ID for Online Shopping in the Retail Stores and iTunes, which is connected with that brings a lot of Trouble for Expats (i.e.).

I opened my Account in Germany and live now in Ireland. This brings the following Problems, I don't know how to solve:

- Can't enter a Irish Kredit Card information and therefore have to keep a German Bank Account, just for Apple (including fees and the hassle to transfer money every month from my Irish Bank)

- Can't enter a Delivery Adress outside of my Country of Origin (Can't get a Mac deliverd to my Irish Adress - which is double annoying, since my country of residence has no Apple Stores! - Seriously? Not one in a First World country like Ireland and 23 in China?). Basically I can't by anything in the Online Shop anymore and have to go to reseller in my country.

- Problems with localized Apps and Services connected to my Apple ID or iTunes Account. I have trouble to get offerings for some Apps (i.e. Irish food delivery services) or Services (i.e. Netflix was not offered in the Germany App Store and I only got the Irish/UK version of Netflix over a workaround, while the German version would just tell me I am outside of my country and can't get the content displayed).

- Marketing and Content tailored my country of Origin. It's nice to know that the AppleWatch is out in Germany, but I can't get it delivered or pre-order it for my Irish address. Same goes for some TV and Movie offerings. I do like to be able to still by German content, since this is part of my culture. But I also would like to get the offerings of my country of residence.

When will Apple introduce this reality into their Account Forms? Other Companies have no problem delivering content and products to different countries. A livelong Account for my content can't be localized. People Move all the time. And if it's just streaming a Video in you Hotel during vacation.

I think this Problem applies to all people with Multinational Background and Expats.

I spend 3k-5k on Apple products and services every year. You should think these Customer group is more important to Apple.

Posted on Sep 29, 2015 2:34 AM

9 replies

Sep 29, 2015 3:35 AM in response to Thundergeo

We are fellow users, we won't know if/when Apple might open an Apple store in Ireland.

For content in the iTunes stores, content is provided by the content providers to Apple to sell on a country-by-country basis, each country therefore has to have its own store and you have to be in a country to use its store - whilst you are in Ireland you can only use the Ireland store. If there are items that aren't available in the Ireland store that you'd like to buy then you could try contacting the TV company / film studio / record label and ask them to allow Apple to sell them in Ireland.

For Netflix, that will also be due to licensing.

Sep 29, 2015 11:56 AM in response to King_Penguin

Read again. My problem is that I can't use the website, the store or Apps from the country I live in. I would need to start a new Account in Ireland and loose several thousand Euro worth contend, just because I moved! Workaround from Apple Support was exactly this.

Don't hang up on the stores. Its just an extra inconvenience, when buying Hardware. But when my German Account don't allow me to install Netflix, which Apple actually offers in Ireland, while the German service from Whatchever can be installed, but can't stream in Ireland, it is a very valid example for many similar problems I ran in daily. This particular Problem is fixed though.

I have to raise the issue somewhere where its accualy noticed by Apple. If just user read this forum, its useless to write it here, thats right.

If you don't have an answer, nobody forces you to comment.

Apr 4, 2016 9:16 PM in response to roaminggnome

but what about the free apps?

I dont really purchase anything from the appstore and am still using a canadian account in the US for now.

for example, my Canadian bank has an app available only in Canadian appstore and my US bank has an app available only in US store. what am I supposed to do? I need both! I have credit cards and residences in both countries.

If I change the country on my account (which btw is what I think would answer the gentlemen's initial question), will I lose the free apps (like my banking apps)? Will I have to redownload all the apps I use (netflix, gmail, etc etc). Can I have 2 appstore accounts and cycle between the 2 depending on where I am?

Apr 4, 2016 9:21 PM in response to maxime136

What about free apps? They are no different that paid apps. You do not lose anything if you move, you simply cannot redownload it.

You lose nothing, unless you delete it.

Changing countries does not erase anything. You simply cannot use the U.S iTunes store unless you are in the U.S, and you cannot use the Canadian iTunes store unless you are in Canada.

Jun 16, 2016 9:42 PM in response to maxime136

Same issue for me as well. I can undertand not being able to access or update paid apps, but free ones? It's ridiculous. Any free app should be allowed to be downloaded from any country. It drives me crazy that every few weeks I have update my Apple ID to another country just to check for and download updates for free apps, like my bank and travel apps.

Apple ID - Multiple Countries - Expats

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.