Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

20" iMac 10.10.3 Early 2008 Display Issues

Hi

Has anyone got the same problem as shown on the image?

Contacted apple support and spent an hour going though the usual stuff, reset this, reinstall that, safe mode and PRAM but guess what..... no change.

If any one has been able to get to the bottom of this annoying ridicules issue id love to hear from you.

It is an old mac (2008) but has been very well looked after and I would certainly not expect any hardware to be wearing out just yet.

User uploaded file

iMac (20-inch Early 2008), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Sep 29, 2015 3:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2015 1:11 AM

It's a hardware issue, considering the age of the computer I would recommend investigating replacing it.

Good luck.

12 replies

Sep 30, 2015 1:15 AM in response to rkaufmann87

It would be good to know which bit of the hardware is at fault unfortunately I'm not very good at diagnostics and would like to avoid a bill form Apple just telling me I need to replace something.

I dont consider the Mac to be old I have got a very early power book that still works fine.

Thank you for you reply at least you seem to think its not software related.

Kindest regards

John

Sep 30, 2015 7:33 AM in response to Jgoadby

It is th display or the GPU, considering the age of the computer neither would be worth fixing. We cannot narrow it down further than that, as mentioned, a 2008 machine is almost 8 model years old and is ancient by todays standards. If you want to the work yourself and scrounge the parts, you can but you will still be into it close to $1000 and you buy an Apple Refurbished 27" iMac now for just about $1500 or a 21" for less than $1000. So your choice.

Oct 1, 2015 12:57 PM in response to Jgoadby

In response to Jgoadby and rkaufmann87

I'm afraid you'll have to buy a new computer. I've got a 20" iMac that I bought in 2008 and it has been very well looked after too. But the video card has just broken down. I feel very disappointed, because Apple told to me that this component is no more repaired. I don't consider my iMac to be old. I'd prefer to repair it than to buy a new one, because I want to preserve environnement.

Best regards

Oct 1, 2015 2:32 PM in response to Youl

HI

im sorry you having a similar problem. I honestly think it's a poor show from Apple that no provisions have been made to sort this out.

One of the reasons we use Mac computers is they do keep a good resale value but to be told by Apple that my Mac is vintage is an insult.

Im trying to find a solution to this monitor problem and when I do I will post it. In the mean time I'd like to hear from anyone with a similar issue.

Regards

john

Oct 1, 2015 2:53 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Im not getting into a wast of time discussion over apples environmental policy on my Mac.

The facts are these computers are still working well apart from some problem with the display.

What I'm looking for is a solution to fix them. Now we all know very well Apple could let us know what the problem is and how to fix it. Not much to ask.

Take care

john

Oct 1, 2015 3:17 PM in response to Jgoadby

Jgoadby wrote:

Im not getting into a wast of time discussion over apples environmental policy on my Mac.

The facts are these computers are still working well apart from some problem with the display.

What I'm looking for is a solution to fix them. Now we all know very well Apple could let us know what the problem is and how to fix it. Not much to ask.

Take care

john

Take the machine to an Apple Authorized Service Provider in your area and see if they will fix it for you. If you don't know of an AASPs in your area, please click https://locate.apple.com/country to begin locating one.

If for some reason you want to attempt a repair on your own, you can visit ifixit.com and see if they have any how to repairs for your computer. However you will then need to locate the parts (if available), troubleshoot which part(s) need replacement and then figure out how to repair it on your own.

Apple does not read or participate in any fashion on these forums, all posts are from end users just like yourself. If you have feedback for Apple please provide it at www.apple.com/feedback.

Oct 3, 2015 2:30 AM in response to rkaufmann87

"This is a totally unfounded argument. Apple has Apple Reuse and Recycling Programwhere your machine is responsible disassembled and recycled..."

This argument is not valid. It is evident that changing a little part of a machine is better for environnemental care than recycling a whole machine and producing a new one. As well repairing machines give work to people. I refuse to be involved in a such a consummering sytem. Fairphone is a good example of what can be done to preserve Earth, instead of producing lots of mobile phones that become quickly obsolete and buy others. I'm telling here my feeling about the thing. I'm not having a dicussion about Apple Policie.

Best regards

20" iMac 10.10.3 Early 2008 Display Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.