Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6S Shut Off While Plugged Into Charger

Last night before getting into bed I did as I always do, plugged my phone into it's charger and set it on the nightstand next to me. I went to bed expecting to be woken up by the sound of one of three three alarms that I have set.

I woke up on my own and noticed that my old alarm clock said 6:10 and my first iPhone alarm is set to go off at 5:30. Confused I reached over and grabbed my phone and pressed the home button, nothing. I pressed the sleep/wake button, nothing. Then I thought well maybe I didn't plug the lightning cable all the way in. I checked that and it felt seated in there, but I pulled it out and pushed it back in expecting to see the drained battery and lightning cable symbols when your phone is completely dead. Once again, nothing. I then checked the power brick in the wall thinking that had come loose from the wall, but it too was firmly where it belonged.

I pulled the lightning cable out of the phone and pressed the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons and held them down and after about 30 seconds the phone started up and I saw the Apple logo and it booted up fine. When the phone came to the lock screen my alarm started ringing.

I am really hoping that this is a one time occurance but thought that I should document it here in case other people are having a similar experience.

iPhone 6s, iOS 9.0.1

Posted on Sep 29, 2015 7:34 AM

10 replies

Oct 13, 2015 11:57 AM in response to Q3Blue

Apple could not fix remotely so said back for repair. I had only had it 2 days so was covered by distance selling regs.(purchased from apple store) so asked for a replacement

Received the replacement today , this one would not connect to wifi. Apple again could not fix so I am getting a refund!

Disappointing as I own several apple products which have beed faultless. They seen to have real problems with the 6s.

Ill try again in a couple of months when hopefully the issues are sorted out.

Oct 16, 2015 3:32 AM in response to William Laughlin

I have a running log of the shutdowns I have experienced. So far

September 29, 2015 shutdown overnight plugged in

October 5, 2015 shut down at 10:00 PM home button was hot

October 6, 2015 shut down at 6:30 AM

October 7, 2015 shut down 9:40 pm

October 8, 2015 shut down 4:45 pm

October 10, 2015 shut down overnight while I was asleep

October 10, 2015 12:00pm shut down

October 11, 2015 shut down overnight while I was asleep: iCloud Backup not completed

October 15, 2015 shut down overnight while asleep: had to re-enter Facebook credentials in Settings app

iCloud Backup not completed

October 15, 2015 shut down 8:00 pm

October 16, 2015 shut down overnight while asleep: Had to re-enter gmail credentials in Settings app

Oct 16, 2015 9:38 AM in response to Q3Blue

I wondered if that was the issue this morning however, I have the Samsung and am experiencing the same problems.

Something else to note. I don't think that the phone is off. I recently received an Apple Watch as a gift, and when my phone shut off last night I noticed that my watched didn't show the iPhone with a line through it, which if the phone was off I would have expected to see.

Aug 5, 2016 10:49 AM in response to William Laughlin

I am having the same issue with my 6s shutting down overnight while plugged in. Sometimes it will turn itself back on (like a hard reset was done) but most of the time it's off in the morning, which is causing me to miss my alarms constantly. I've done everything I can do...(restore factory settings, hard resets, setting up new iPhone, etc). I have an order processed to send mine in for repair, but I'm wondering now if anyone knows what's causing this? Just want to make sure it's nothing I can fix before I send it in and waste my time 🙂

I would appreciate any thoughts/guidance!!

Thank you!

Nov 21, 2016 8:00 AM in response to William Laughlin

Hi

There is an iPhone 6s Program for Unexpected Shutdown Issues.

The program covers iPhone 6s devices within a limited serial number range that were manufactured between September and October 2015.

Apple advises that, if you have experienced the issue, you should visit an Apple Retail Store or an Apple Authorised Service Provider to have your iPhone examined and the serial number checked to confirm your eligibility for a battery replacement, free of charge.

More information and instructions:

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone6s-unexpectedshutdown/

iPhone 6S Shut Off While Plugged Into Charger

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.