Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Update iPad2 from IOS4.3.5

We have several iPad2 at work that not have been updated since Ios 4.3

We are now not able to update either of them to either IOS 9.01 or any other IOS. We get the same error on each ipad (unkwn error 9) and we are getting stucked into recovery mode. We've tried "every" possible way, tried useing IOS9, IOS8, IOS7 instead, tried deleting everything on the ipad, but nothing helps.

We have aprox 10 ipads With this problem so we really would like to get this fixed!

iPad 2, iOS 4.3.3

Posted on Sep 29, 2015 8:51 AM

17 replies

Sep 29, 2015 10:48 AM in response to AJ397

As you say ralph9430, IOS4 can only be updated via iTunes so that's the only option.

We've tried from several PCs, from several networks (both home and work) so we are certain that it's not our fault. iPads runnig newer IOS than 5.0 have not theses problems,only IOS4 as far as we've seen yet.

Several have gotten stuck in recovery mode, and we've needed to use 3rd party tools to get them out, iTunes just ran them in loop trying to recover them.

Is there still a way that still work to force install of older IOS than 9.0? We've tried useing an older ispw file with iTunes but it doesn't work and it says that Apple no longer sign older IOS than 9.0...

Oct 8, 2015 8:19 PM in response to taskvig

You suddenly have the desire to upgrade iOS from a five year old version ... so I assume you have not been regularly upgrading your computer's software either.

You have not told us if you are using a Windows or a Mac computer to host iTunes.

The current version of iTunes is 12.3. You need a current version to host iOS 9. Get the latest iTunes at http://www.apple.com/itunes/download

Here are requirements for the latest iTunes on a Mac:

User uploaded file

And here are the Windows requirements:

User uploaded file

Oct 8, 2015 11:05 PM in response to sberman

I have tried either the window nor a mac ways. The genius bar guy first thought maybe it is a firewall or a usb problem or a internet connection problem. They have tried different macbooks and usb line, still did not work. It is always error 9. One of my friends failded when updated IOS 4.3 to IOS 9 a few days ago, but succeeded in IOS 8.4.1. As apple have turned down the signature of IOS 8.4.1, I do not have the chances to prove it. I think may it is a bug of IOS 9 even the APPLE does not even know it.

Oct 9, 2015 1:57 AM in response to taskvig

We now aprox 20 ipads with this problem 😟

They have been useed with local politicans and therefore not been updated before. We've tried updating from both Windows and Mac, tried different 3rd party tools, tried restoring and from another ipad2, but none seem to work. We've never had problems with IOS8, this started with IOS9, and seens Apple doesn't sign IOS8 anymore, we are stuck.

We've recently ordred 100 new ipads and asked our dealer to take this problem with Apple, but don't know if there will be any luck. Too bad if we can not use theses ipad2 anymore, they were supposed to be given away to kindergardens 😟

Mar 10, 2016 3:15 PM in response to taskvig

Brilliant info taskvig, somehow I had a feeling that 9.3 would exactly address this issue, now just wondering when Apple is going to release 9.3. Clearly this is a bug in the iOS9 update, and it's amazing that Apple hasn't come out and acknowledged that the problem exists in the first place. Would have saved a lot of us a heck of a lot of time. I guess if they had maintained the ability to update the iPad sequentially through iOS 5/6/7/8 through to 9 path, we would also not have had this issue.

Update iPad2 from IOS4.3.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.