Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Podcasts Settings iOS 9 - “Cellular Data” vs “Only Download on Wi-Fi”?

In iPhone "Settings" for "Podcasts", there is a switch labeled “Cellular Data” and another switch labeled “Only Download on Wi-Fi”. Like everything else with this App, I am a bit confused, if I turn on “Only Download on Wi-Fi”, does that mean my Podcasts will not download over a Cellular network even if the “Cellular” switch is turned on? Can I have both switches turned on? I don’t recall these confusing options in iOS 8. Maybe this is why some people are saying in other discussions that their Podcasts are not updating. Right now, I have “Cellular” turned on and “Only Download on Wi-Fi” is turned off. My Podcasts are downing but I have noticed there’s a download lag on my iPhone compared to my Wi-Fi only iPad. The use of the word "Only" makes it sound like Cellular will not work. Why not switch between Cellular and Wi-Fi networks if I choose to do so?

iPhone 5, iOS 9.0.1

Posted on Sep 29, 2015 8:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2015 3:40 PM

The "Only Download on WiFi" means that the podcasts will automatically download on a WiFi network. If this option is turned off, then podcasts will now automatically download unless you manually download them yourself. Cellular Data option will allow you to download a podcast when away from a WiFi network. Both can be enabled at the same time. The lag that you're having is due to downloading podcasts only from your cell network.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 29, 2015 3:40 PM in response to Golden Delicious01

The "Only Download on WiFi" means that the podcasts will automatically download on a WiFi network. If this option is turned off, then podcasts will now automatically download unless you manually download them yourself. Cellular Data option will allow you to download a podcast when away from a WiFi network. Both can be enabled at the same time. The lag that you're having is due to downloading podcasts only from your cell network.

Oct 2, 2015 6:05 PM in response to timmyd15

Thanks Timmyd15.

I have both switches turned on now and it works. As I stated earlier, I never needed to check Settings/Podcasts back in iOS 8 because the app worked back then! If Apple returned the On-the-Go playlist feature it used to have in Podcasts iOS 8, then maybe I could live with all the frustrating swipes and layering of controls it has now just to get a particular episode to play. Unfortunately I'm going to start using the free podcast app called Overcast that others have recommended.

Podcasts Settings iOS 9 - “Cellular Data” vs “Only Download on Wi-Fi”?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.