Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Any ideas how to restore Trackpad in BootCamp Control Panel?

Hello,

I've been using Windows 7 with BootCamp quite happily since I installed it on my Mid-2011 iMac running 10.10 in about April 2015.

Today I launched BootCamp/Windows for the first time in about three weeks and after the desktop loaded there was an Apple Software update box asking if I wanted to install the latest Bluetooth drivers. I clicked yes and restarted in Windows again.

Now I cannot access all the BootCamp Control panel settings for Trackpad - I have is startup disk, Power and something else on tabs across the top!

Everytime I select the black diamond icon in the System Tray, Windows asks if I want BootCamp control panel to modify the system, which I've never seen before. When I click Yes, I simply get this three tab, "gutted" version of the BootCamp control panel with no useful settings available anymore.

I ran the Setup.pkg (or Install.kg, whichever) on my original USB drive and the BootCamp installer went through everything and I restarted, but still only 3 tabs!

Any ideas how to get it working again?

Thanks very much for any help.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.1), iPod 2G touch 32GB; iPad 3G 16GB

Posted on Sep 29, 2015 9:23 AM

9 replies

Sep 30, 2015 4:08 AM in response to KiltedGreen

Please download the driver package appropriate to your specific Mac from Install Windows 7 and earlier on your Mac using Boot Camp - Apple Support on to a USB2 flash drive.

Check the version of the drivers by looking in Product Version line of Bootcamp.xml and post it here. From the Bootcamp -> Apple -> Drivers folder/directory, run the Trackpad installer executable and test.

You may also want to run

Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

How to Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

Sep 30, 2015 8:17 AM in response to Loner T

Thanks for all this Loner T.

I already have the Boot Camp installer I used in the very first instance still on my flash drive. I opened BootCamp > BootCamp.xml and the version number on the 7th line of that file is exactly the same version as on Apple's "5" software link page, namely 5.1.5621

I ran "Repair" from the USB yesterday but it didn't help. However, I'll run BootCamp > Drivers > Apple > AppleMultiTouchTrackPadInstaller64.exe now and post the results here.

I'll have a bash at the SMC and NVRAM too and report back.

Thanks again.

Sep 30, 2015 8:22 AM in response to KiltedGreen

From Boot Camp Support Software 5.1.5621, you have the correct drivers for W7/W8+

Post Date: Feb 11, 2014

File Size: 924.9 MB

System Requirements

• MacBook Air (11-inch & 13-inch, Mid 2011)
  • MacBook Air (11-inch & 13-inch, Mid 2012)
  • MacBook Pro (15-inch & 17-inch, Mid 2010)
  • MacBook Pro (13-inch, & 15-inch, Early 2011)
  • MacBook Pro (17-inch, Early 2011)
  • MacBook Pro (13-inch,15-inch & 17-inch Late 2011)
  • MacBook Pro (13-inch & 15-inch, Mid 2012)
  • MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012)
  • MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2012)
  • MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch and 15-inch, Early 2013)
  • Mac Pro (Early 2009)
  • Mac Pro (Mid 2010)
  • Mac Pro (Mid 2012)
  • Mac mini (Mid 2011)
  • Mac mini (Late 2012)
  • iMac (27-inch, Mid 2010)
  • iMac (21.5-inch & 27-inch, Mid 2011)
  • iMac (21.5-inch & 27-inch, Late 2012)
  • iMac (21.5-inch) Early 2013
  • Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1, 64 bit

Sep 30, 2015 8:54 AM in response to Loner T

I have run the Trackpad Driver Installer but at the end I got the dialog shown in the attached photo. I clicked on "This program installed correctly". However, then trying to access to Control Panel resulted in an identical sequence (with disk modification confirmation request and only the three tabs) to my original post.

User uploaded file

I'm not sure I understand the reason for your last post ... I have had 64-bit Windows 7 installed since around April/May this year and have used it on an almost weekly basis since and the trackpad has been fine. If I did install any subsequent Windows 7 updates then it was months back. This issue only began on my Mid-2011 iMac 21.5" just before I made my first post in this thread and it happened after the booting into Windows for the first time in about three weeks when I got an invitation from Apple Software Update on Windows 7 to update my Bluetooth drivers, which I did. I assume that is the cause of the problem, but presumably, short of deleting the entire Windows partition and re-installing I will not be able to find out!

I am going to try the SMC reset next and see what happens with that.

I appreciate your help.

Oct 2, 2015 9:48 AM in response to Loner T

Thanks again for all your help.

I plan to update Windows to Windows 10 to help support some potential employment. Windows 10 isn't supported on my iMac but others on here seem to have got it going just fine. If I can't get it to work satisfactorily I will simply delete it and re-install my Windows 7 as I did originally.

I have saved all my documents created on my Windows partition so that I can drop them back if things go wrong.

However, as part of this I installed 154(!) Windows updates and then at the end (after 5 restarts!) reinstalled the BC drivers - using the only option, repair - and now my trackpad tab and another have returned and all is well. So, hopefully it will stay fixed. Time will tell.

Thank you so much for your assistance, it's really appreciated.

Any ideas how to restore Trackpad in BootCamp Control Panel?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.