Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My MAC Pro 2010 RAID does not work with Samsung EVO 1Tbyte SSDs

Hi,

I imagine people have already solved this problem. I am trying to replace my 1TB HDD with 1TB Samsung EVO SSDs. I have a RAID card in RAID 5 mode. I have tried several times & have eventually got the RAID utility to format & prepare the 4 x 1TB SSDs in to RAID 5 mode however the drives simply keep on being dropped by the RAID card. Random problems like the SSD has failed however when I test the drives on another machine in non-RAID mode then it is fine. Does anyone know if the RAID card will support SSDs? My initial guess is that the SSDs are simply too fast for the RAID card. Went to Apple store today & they simply had no idea

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), 2010 Model

Posted on Sep 29, 2015 9:12 AM

11 replies

Sep 29, 2015 9:24 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Fine about the 2.2TB but I have 4 x 1TB so the problem hasn't been addressed. The utility eventually created the RAID however it simply isn't stable. It will randomly say the drive is no longer viable. If I remove the RAID card, I would still need to create a RAID in software. Otherwise I am simply looking for a simple method where 1 drive can be all the system for fast boot & the other 3 are grouped together to be the storage. I have 2 TBytes of data & don't want to mess about with which drive I have put the data on.

Sep 30, 2015 8:16 AM in response to MMatijas

There are two models of RAID cards. The one you have (intended for Mac Pro 2009 through 2012) does not have the extra cable.

The older model for 2006 through 2008 uses a cable called the iPass cable. When removing the card, the cable must be correctly re-connected to its slot on the motherboard, or nothing works. (This iPass cable allows you to electrically "Insert" this model RAID card into the motherboard logic.)

Sep 30, 2015 8:46 AM in response to MMatijas

The RAID pane in Disk Utility can create and maintain Mirrored and Striped RAID sets, as well as compound (striped Mirrors and Mirrored Stripes), and concatenated RAIDs.

The main Reason for the Mac RAID card at all was to support RAID 5, which requires checksum calculation on the stripes of data both coming and going. ( then nth stripe is a checksum of the other two or more stripes). Computing those checksums in software is too slow, so the RAID card can do it with its own processor on-the-fly.

On Write, the RAID card acknowledges that data Write as successful and allows the system to proceed when the card gets the data, then computes the checksums and write them to blocks on the drives as soon as it can. A power fail during this time loses the data being checksummed, (destroying data integrity) so you have that battery on board, and all the horrors that go with having it.

Oct 7, 2015 11:55 PM in response to MMatijas

Hi Grant,

Removed the RAID card. Installed 4 x Samsung 1Tbyte SSDs, used the Disk utility to concatenate & recreated from Time Machine. System now rockets along as fast as the bus will go - 267/Bytes/sec for read or write. Amazing improvement. My problem was the RAID card - it simply didn't like SSDs. It has now official gone to the RAID card in the sky pile. Thanks again.

My MAC Pro 2010 RAID does not work with Samsung EVO 1Tbyte SSDs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.