Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Automatic time detection?

Hi there - I have what I hope is a very simple question:

I just updated to Mac OS 10.11, and so far, so good! HOWEVER, I am running into an issue with the Calendar app that is driving me nuts. In previous versions of Mac OS, I could add an event, and name it something like "10:00AM Appointment with Jo Mama", and the Calendar app would automatically change the time to 10:00AM and name the event "Appointment with Jo Mama" when I hit Return on the keyboard. Now, with El Capitan's Calendar app, it simply leaves the entire name as "10:00AM Appointment with Jo Mama" and sets the time to the default, which I believe is 9:00AM.

Has anyone else seen this, or does anyone know how to fix it? It's been driving me nuts. I really hope they didn't remove the feature, because it's so handy.

Mac Pro (Mid 2010)

Posted on Sep 29, 2015 11:31 AM

7 replies

Nov 8, 2015 5:56 PM in response to suzical

I've figured it out!

In the "Month" view, click to open a New Event. The default time will be 9:00am to 10:00am.

User uploaded file

Input: Appointment with Jo Mama 10:00. A box will appear confirming that time. When you put your cursor over the box it will turn blue. Click on the blue box.

User uploaded file

The length of the event will default to one hour but if you input an end time such as 10:00-11:30 you will get a 90 minute event.

User uploaded file

Nov 9, 2015 6:21 AM in response to suzical

That does work, but it's extra steps. It's unfortunate that they've changed this without at least having an option for legacy mode that works the old way. I'd rather just type in "10AM Appointment with Joe Mama" and hit enter. Looks like this new method was actually by design, unfortunately!

Automatic time detection?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.