Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine Unable to complete backup. An error occurred while creating the backup folder.

Mac Pro Xeon Late 2013

MacOS 10.10.5

An external drive I've been using exclusively for Time Machine backups is getting the error "Unable to complete backup. An error occurred while creating the backup folder." I used Disk utility to Verify Disk, no problems. 3.75 TB of 4 TB free, so no space issues. Read somewhere from a very old post that resetting PRAM fixed this issue. Anyone else seeing this?

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Sep 29, 2015 11:48 AM

1 reply

Sep 29, 2015 12:37 PM in response to johnfrompetoskey

I solved this by simply powering down my machine, double-checked the Thunderbolt connection to my external drive and powered back up. All is fine now. I'm guessing that this may not be the solution for most people having this problem, but it worked for me and at the very least is a good place to start.

NOT SURE WHY THIS GOT POSTED IN THE SNOW LEOPARD SECTION, I'M RUNNING YOSEMITE 10.10.5!

Time Machine Unable to complete backup. An error occurred while creating the backup folder.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.