Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

safari won't download epub files after upgrade to iOS 9, what gives?

Hi, After upgrading the four iPads in our house to IOS 9.0.1, one of them has started exhibiting strange behaviour.

If I click on a link to download an epub file, I am normally presented with a link to 'Open in iBooks'. This still happens on three of the iPads. The remaining iPad, no longer shows the 'Open in iBooks' link & in fact won't do anything with it, the page just seems to freeze.

I have tried exactly the same link on the other iPads, up pops the 'Open...' link as expected.

I have also tried rebooting the iPad concerned as well.

Oh also, I have plugged the iPad into a Mac & can get ePub files onto it that way, so there doesn't appear to be a problem with iBooks itself, it appears to be a Safari issue.

What can I do to fix this please?

iPad Mini, iOS 9.0.1

Posted on Sep 29, 2015 1:40 PM

7 replies

Oct 2, 2015 9:01 PM in response to barnabyr

HI barnabyr. I own an Ipad air which is currently running on Ios 9.0.2. And I am having the exact same problem as you. I previously had a similar problem when I updated my Ipad from ios 7 to ios 8. In that case the ipad would not download pdf's. Now that I have updated again, the pdf's work but the epub's won't. And epub is what I mainly use. I have tried everything that you tried and no success for me either. My dad has an ipad 4 running ios 9 and he can download epubs no worries. It may be a glitch within safari that only affects ipads with a particular model or serial number. That is my only thought on the situation. I am sorry that I can't help you but I thought that if i post my problem that apple or someone else would be able to come up with a fix.

Oct 3, 2015 8:31 PM in response to barnabyr

I Had the same problem, my iPad mini wouldn't download ePub after I updated it but my husbands iPad had no problem. My end run around it without having to plug the iPad into anything and transfer is to hit download on my husbands iPad, turn on air drop on both iPads , then when the "open in..." Appears on his hit that then hit air drop to mine. That opens a dialog box on mine to open the airdropped ePub , so I just hit "iBooks" and voila it was there. I realize this only works if you have access to another iPad that works but it was better than nothing.

Oct 5, 2015 2:52 AM in response to barnabyr

HI there again. I was talking to a friend of mine who knows a lot about Apple devices, and he got on the support community and he found a solution. Simply go into settings, general, reset, reset all settings. It is a little bit annoying having all of your settings erased but it worked for me on my iPad Air. And it worked for these other users on their iPhones. I hope that this solution works for you guys.

Nov 2, 2015 12:15 PM in response to barnabyr

I Have the same issue but it seems the issue is with Safari - so I downloaded Google Chrome app and searched the website I regularly download books from and downloaded the book and it worked! BUt only using google chrome. Sadly chrome doesn't have the facility to add webpages to your Homescreen but can't have everything I guess! Hopefully the next update will rectify this problem....hello Apple! this one is for u guys!

Nov 10, 2015 7:29 PM in response to Jackalaka11

HI! I updated my iPad mini 2 to iOS 9.1 after that I can't download books from ePub or in any website. It used to have "open in iBook" but now it won't appear. I also tried downloading it to google chrome still no avail. I tried doing what you said, I reset my settings but still it wont download. I don't know what to do anymore. Please help me find a solution to this problem. thank you so much!

safari won't download epub files after upgrade to iOS 9, what gives?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.