Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos on iPhone

This might sound a simple question but I can't find an answer. When I take a photo or video on my iPhone is it stored on my iphone memory and/or in icloud? I use iCloud to store my photos. Thanks.

iPhone 6, iOS 9.0.1

Posted on Sep 29, 2015 11:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2015 11:51 AM

I use iCloud to store my photos. Thanks.

Are yu storing the photos in iCloud Photo Library? Then the photos will be stored both on your iPhone and in iCloud, plus on any other device that is using iCloud Photo Library.

iCloud Photo Library is a central photo storage, that is keeping all your Photos Libraries on all devices up to date. It will sync all changes across all devices.

If you want to save space on one device, enable "Optimize storage" on that device. Then the device will only keep smaller, optimized versions of your photos and retrieve the full sized original from iCloud, when you need the photo. But all devices will store atlas the smaller sized optimized versions, so you can browse the photos and request the full-sized downloads.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 29, 2015 11:51 AM in response to Chrissafc

I use iCloud to store my photos. Thanks.

Are yu storing the photos in iCloud Photo Library? Then the photos will be stored both on your iPhone and in iCloud, plus on any other device that is using iCloud Photo Library.

iCloud Photo Library is a central photo storage, that is keeping all your Photos Libraries on all devices up to date. It will sync all changes across all devices.

If you want to save space on one device, enable "Optimize storage" on that device. Then the device will only keep smaller, optimized versions of your photos and retrieve the full sized original from iCloud, when you need the photo. But all devices will store atlas the smaller sized optimized versions, so you can browse the photos and request the full-sized downloads.

Photos on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.