Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you control multiple apple tvs with the remote app?

I have two Apple TVs. Can I control both Apple TVs with the remote app. Currently, I am only able to control one of them using the remote app.

Apple TV (3rd generation)

Posted on Sep 29, 2015 12:57 PM

10 replies

Jul 21, 2017 3:54 PM in response to Winston Churchill

It worked before upgrading an atv3 to atv4. 3 at home had names and hung off one network and same at work. Now, because of some difference in protocols or some such, I have to go through "re-acquainting" when I want to control atv3 or atv4. I am not trying to control an atv somewhere else. Just don't think reconfiguring every time I change rooms is convenient. Maybe a convenient ploy to encourage me to upgrade all to atv4. Or an oversight, not considering people with multiple atv's of mixed generation.

Jul 21, 2017 5:41 PM in response to NimChimpski

Hi NimChimpski. Please explain what "re-acquainting" you need to do when you change rooms.

I can imagine there may be some upset when you move from one network (home) to another (office). That might be helped if every Apple TV in your world had a different name. That name is its Bonjour identifier. Different types of device with different IP addresses and the same name would be a problem.

Jul 21, 2017 6:17 PM in response to Diana.McCall

Hi Diana,

previously I had 3 atv3s at home. All 1 network, all different names and when I chose to use remote, I would get a page where I could choose which one to control. All good. At work I had 1 on 1 network. It would just work. Now, having introduced atv4 as one of my home atv's, I have to "sign in" for atv4. Having set up remote for atv4, when I want to use the remote on any atv3, I must reset the remote to work with them. There was never a problem moving between networks, still isn't. The problem is moving between atv generations.

cheers

Jul 21, 2017 7:06 PM in response to NimChimpski

I understand that you're having trouble controlling Apple TVs of different generations using the same Remote app. But I don't understand what it is that you need to do.

First, are you using the newer Remote app (black icon) or the older version, now called iTunes Remote?

How do you "sign in" for Apple TV 4?

And how do you reset the Remote app to work with the Apple TV 3's?

What device are you running the Remote app on, iPad, iPhone? With which iOS version?

Is your Apple TV 4 updated? tvOS is currently on version 10.2.2.

By the way, I'm pretty sure Winston's many Apple TVs are not all the same version, so he should be able to straighten this out when he comes back online.

Jul 21, 2017 11:10 PM in response to Diana.McCall

Hi Diana.

I need to control 4 different Apple TVs: 2 x Apple TV 3s and 1 x Apple TV 4 in one location and 1 x Apple TV 3 in a different location without having to struggle. Apple TV 4 has the same name as its predecessor and when I select it, it asks me to either turn on home sharing or add a device. I select add device and type in offered code but that seems to upset my communicating with Apple TV 3s.

I was not aware of a new Remote app (black) so I will go and install that. Hopefully all will then be solved.

I am running iPad Pro 1.

I have auto update on all Apple TVs

How do you control multiple apple tvs with the remote app?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.