Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help, Ayudame! Power Mac G4 doesn't start up

Guys, I have seen this posted several times for the notebook, but not for the desktop. I turned off my PowerMac G4, unplugged and went on vacation. Came back, plugged the G4 in and turned on via monitor. The startup light on the monitor lights up but the screen is dark, the tower makes no sound. If I press the startup button on the tower, same thing: light goes on but no sound and no display on screen. I have unplugged all other devices, I have plugged into different sockets, I have unattached and then attached the monitor, still no image on screen. Apple Care says it sounds like a hardware problem. Any suggestions on what I can do before I spend big bucks to fix this?

G4, Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Posted on Nov 8, 2006 1:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 8, 2006 2:42 AM

Hi, Outdated -

Welcome to Apple's Discussions.

I turned off my PowerMac G4, unplugged and went on vacation.

At that point the internal battery began to be used up - it is used whenever the Mac is unplugged. If the battery was already old, it may now be too weak or dead; many Macs have starting problems when that happens.

Try replacing the battery - you can get one for about US$15 at places like Radio Shack, cheaper on line.

If your G4 is an AGP or later model, try also resetting the PMU -
Article #95037 - G4 (AGP) - Resetting PMU

If it is a PCI model, try resetting the CUDA -
Article #95065 - G4 (PCI) - Resetting Cuda
Article #95066 - G4 (PCI) - Resetting the Logic Board
7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 8, 2006 2:42 AM in response to Outdated G4 Owner

Hi, Outdated -

Welcome to Apple's Discussions.

I turned off my PowerMac G4, unplugged and went on vacation.

At that point the internal battery began to be used up - it is used whenever the Mac is unplugged. If the battery was already old, it may now be too weak or dead; many Macs have starting problems when that happens.

Try replacing the battery - you can get one for about US$15 at places like Radio Shack, cheaper on line.

If your G4 is an AGP or later model, try also resetting the PMU -
Article #95037 - G4 (AGP) - Resetting PMU

If it is a PCI model, try resetting the CUDA -
Article #95065 - G4 (PCI) - Resetting Cuda
Article #95066 - G4 (PCI) - Resetting the Logic Board

Nov 23, 2006 11:53 AM in response to Don Archibald

Don, I wanted to ask you a question I have placed as a new post as well. Today all my available HD space is gone, both on my HD as well as my external HD. I have 80 GB on my HD and 500 GB on my external HD. Yesterday I had 35 GB free space on HD and 435 GB free space on my external HD (connected by firewire). Now I cannot capture my video into Final Cut Pro.

This is frustrating. It happened a few days ago and the tech from LaCie told me to erase and reformat my external HD. I did it and worked well for a few days, but here I am again.

What could my problem be, and how would you solve it?

Help, Ayudame! Power Mac G4 doesn't start up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.