Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preview quit working

Hi. I have a MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2.53GHz, Mid 2009). I upgraded the RAM to 8G and installed a SSD (250 Gig). There is currently a Yosemite 10.10.5 version.

Every time I open Preview it force quits and this image come up.

User uploaded file

I don't know what is the cause of this. Any suggestions to fix this? Thanks.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Sep 29, 2015 7:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2015 6:46 AM

Quit Preview.

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Remove the following. You may not find them all. Restart and test.

Containers/com.apple.Preview

Containers/com.apple.quicklook.ui.helper

Preferences/com.apple.Preview.LSSharedFileList.plist

Preferences/com.apple.Preview.SandboxedPersistentURLs.LSSharedFileList.plist

Saved Application State/com.apple.Preview.savedState

Credit Linc Davis for this solution.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 30, 2015 6:46 AM in response to pgross83

Quit Preview.

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Remove the following. You may not find them all. Restart and test.

Credit Linc Davis for this solution.

Sep 30, 2015 6:48 AM in response to pgross83

Hi pgross83,

Thanks for dropping us a line!

In order to determine why Preview is quitting unexpectedly and get it stabilized I'd appreciate if you could provide me with a bit of information.

1. How are you opening Preview?
    • Are you opening a document from the Finder or another application (Safari, Mail, etc..)?
    • Are you opening Preview directly from the Dock or the Applications folder?
  2. When you open Preview, and see the dialog you've posted above, the "Report..." button should to display quite a bit of text. If you could copy and paste that report's text into a reply here, we may find some helpful information there.

Hope to hear from you soon!

All my best

Sep 30, 2015 2:37 PM in response to CarlAVII

- I am opening a jpg file from the finder.

- I am opening a file directly from the downloads folder in the dock.

- The text was quite long so I put it on google drive here. Is it safe to make show this info publicly? I'm not even sure what info is here. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1eqmdYrWDL1Bwz1wPmxYP0uyo3xqdexkEesSePy4O18s/ edit?usp=sharing

Sep 30, 2015 7:12 PM in response to pgross83

Please take each of the following steps that you haven't already tried, testing after each one. Stop when the problem is resolved. Back up all data before proceeding.

Step 1

Launch the Font Book application and validate all fonts. You must select the fonts in order to validate them. See the built-in help and this support article for instructions. If Font Book finds any issues, resolve them.

Start up in safe mode to rebuild the font caches. Restart as usual and test.

Note: If FileVault is enabled in OS X 10.9 or earlier, or if a firmware password is set, or if the startup volume is a software RAID, you can’t start in safe mode. In that case, ask for instructions.

Step 2

Hold down the option key and select Go Library from the Finder menu bar. From the Library folder, delete the following items, if they exist:

Group Containers/com.apple.Preview

Log out and log back in.

Step 3

Launch the Keychain Access application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad and start typing the name.

Use the search box in the toolbar of the Keychain Access window to search for items with either of these names:

Preview Signature Privacy

Signature Annotation Privacy

Delete any you find.

Step 4

Launch the Font Book application again, then from the menu bar, select

FileRestore Standard Fonts...

You'll be prompted to confirm, and then to enter your administrator login password.

Preview quit working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.