Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is OSXFUSE for Mac

I found this on my computer and I do not know what it is. It does not look as if it is a Apple authorized app or software. Please let me know if I should delete it. It says, "OSXFUSE allows you to extend OS X’s native file handling capabilities via third-party file systems." I do not understand that but it does not sound like something I want

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Sep 29, 2015 8:43 PM

13 replies

Sep 30, 2015 12:13 PM in response to konagal

It was sometimes necessary in older mac OSX to have access to other file systems. there were (older) applications that needed this.

Nowadays you normally do not have need for it.

Modern (10.9 and 10.9) OSX do not like it very much. I would advise to uninstall it. If you still have an app that protests after de uninstall, you can use a modern version of that app or replace it with another app.

Lex

ciao to all.

Sep 30, 2015 4:57 AM in response to konagal

If you connect your computer to hard drives formatted for Windows in the NTSF format and you want to be able to save or move files onto those drives, you need FUSE or something like it. Some time ago (I think Lex is right that it was with the introduction of 10.9) FUSE didn’t get updated and became unstable. It is now open source and I don’t know what its status is. If you absolutely need to write to NTFS drives, Paragon Software markets an up to date driver that is stable under 10.10 — don’t know about 10.11 which is due out today sometime.

Sep 30, 2015 12:22 PM in response to Lexiepex

Thank you all for your answers. I was not sure what it was and wanted to know whether to uninstall it. There was a button to "Uninstall". Funny thing is that when I clicked on it it looked like it was uninstalling but then said OFXFUSE Does Not Appear to Be Installed" but the spinning wheel kept going for awhile. THE ICON IS STILL IN MY SYSTEM PREFERENCES. I cannot drag it to the trash any way I try. Please let me know if this is the best way to UNINSTALL it.

What is OSXFUSE for Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.