Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get the music from my laptop to my desktop using home sharing?

Both comps have home sharing set up and turned on. Laptop has 1255 songs. Desktop has only 466. I sync my phone on the desktop. Laptop library shows 1255 and the desktop library only shows 466. Can anyone help? Thanks, Nob

Posted on Sep 29, 2015 10:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2015 2:41 PM

Hello gzmxj,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

I see you'd like to transfer music from one computer to another. The easiest way to do this is to use Home Sharing, and since you have it set up already, simply drag music from one library to another.

Use Home Sharing on your Mac or PC

You can use Home Sharing with up to five computers on your home network. Follow these steps to use Home Sharing:

1. Open iTunes on your computer.
  2. Sign in with your Apple ID and password. Use the same Apple ID for every computer or device on your Home Sharing network.
  3. Go to File > Home Sharing.
  4. Turn on Home Sharing.

Now you can use Home Sharing:

• Stream music, movies, TV shows, apps, and other iTunes content from one authorized computer to another. The computers need to be on and awake, and iTunes needs to be open.
  • To see all of your shared libraries, click User uploaded file in the top-left corner of iTunes.

User uploaded file

• Share iTunes content by dragging it from one computer’s library to another computer’s library.
  • You can also import purchases from other Home Sharing computers into your iTunes library. Choose a shared library, click User uploaded file, and select the content that you want to import.

Use Home Sharing to share iTunes content with other devices - Apple Support

Take care.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 30, 2015 2:41 PM in response to gzmxj

Hello gzmxj,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

I see you'd like to transfer music from one computer to another. The easiest way to do this is to use Home Sharing, and since you have it set up already, simply drag music from one library to another.

Use Home Sharing on your Mac or PC

You can use Home Sharing with up to five computers on your home network. Follow these steps to use Home Sharing:

1. Open iTunes on your computer.
  2. Sign in with your Apple ID and password. Use the same Apple ID for every computer or device on your Home Sharing network.
  3. Go to File > Home Sharing.
  4. Turn on Home Sharing.

Now you can use Home Sharing:

• Stream music, movies, TV shows, apps, and other iTunes content from one authorized computer to another. The computers need to be on and awake, and iTunes needs to be open.
  • To see all of your shared libraries, click User uploaded file in the top-left corner of iTunes.

User uploaded file

• Share iTunes content by dragging it from one computer’s library to another computer’s library.
  • You can also import purchases from other Home Sharing computers into your iTunes library. Choose a shared library, click User uploaded file, and select the content that you want to import.

Use Home Sharing to share iTunes content with other devices - Apple Support

Take care.

How do I get the music from my laptop to my desktop using home sharing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.