Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

El Capitan 10.11 Compatibility information - Important.

Please read this user tip for updated information on compatibility issues with El Capitan 10.11

El Capitan 10.11.3 / Logic Pro X 10.2.1 Compatibility information

I will be updating this User tip as soon as i received further confirmed information regarding compatibility with 10.11 so you may wish to bookmark it for future references..

Cheers..

Nigel

Logic Pro X, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), LPX 10.2

Posted on Sep 29, 2015 9:28 PM

71 replies

Oct 1, 2015 8:39 AM in response to Svbullt

That's a huge issue. I'm very surprised this was not thoroughly tested.

It was tested and these issues were found prior to the release.. NI for example knew well in advance there were problems with their plugins failing validation...

The thing is, it's often up to the Devs of the plugins to fix these issues.. not Apple... and so... why didn't they do so in a timely manner?

That's a question that I ask every time there is a major upgrade to OS X when this sort of problem happen repeatedly... and I have never got a satisfactory answer from the 3rd party Dev's involved... except something along the lines of "Well we were waiting until the final version of the upgrade was available and then we will test and then fix things as needed"

Anyhow, glad to hear you made backups.. so you can roll back to your previous working configuration... using OS X's Recovery system.

If only others did the same....

Cheers..

Nigel

Oct 1, 2015 8:38 AM in response to BrockSF

Just out of curiosity, whose responsibility is it to make sure everything is compatible when an OS upgrade is released?

IMHO.. The 3rd party Devs....

Logically (sic) speaking Apple cannot test everything.... which is why they make sure lots of Developer builds are provided and recently provided Public betas to help this process along..

Oct 1, 2015 8:57 AM in response to The Art Of Sound

Thank you... it's even more surprising to learn that these were known issues. If there are known incompatibles there should be some type of warning to the user as part of the initial system scan prior to upgrading. That should be a basic prerequisite. My NI plugins that no longer function are part of the system level libraries. It should be a simple check prior to install with an appropirate warning.

Regarding the question of responsibility... Apple provides both the OS and the DAW. In my opinion, Apple should be take responsibility to ensure that users can continue to use these products for the intended purpose after an upgrade of this nature.

Oct 1, 2015 10:40 AM in response to Svbullt

Yes, Apple provide both the OS and the DAW. They don't however, provide NI plugs or have anything to do with NI coding.

For example, I don't have any NI plugs but I do have iZotope and Waves. Some Stephen Slate stuff… Would I expect Apple to test all of iZotope, Waves and Stephen Slate code before it issued an OS update? Of course not. I'd do exactly what Apple did and that is provide the code, in full, as Apple itself was developing it. They did this not only for the developers but, for the first time ever, the general public too. This way the developers can alter their code and issue updates to their users if any new Apple code affects their own.

If Apple had to check all the code for all the current *possible* plug designers from 3rd party developers there would never ever be an update issued because it would be impossible.

If Logic itself had a massive show stopping bug it would be different because Apple make, as you rightly say, both the OS and the DAW.

Oct 1, 2015 11:27 AM in response to octopi

The basic point here is that it appears there were known incompatibilities yet there was apparently no information given to users. We are not expecting Apple to test all 3rd party plugins. However, if there are known issues with popular plugins such as NI we would expect to be notified before having our logic sessions broken. Thanks.

Oct 1, 2015 11:46 AM in response to Svbullt

Svbullt wrote:

The basic point here is that it appears there were known incompatibilities yet there was apparently no information given to users. We are not expecting Apple to test all 3rd party plugins. However, if there are known issues with popular plugins such as NI we would expect to be notified before having our logic sessions broken. Thanks.

The past 4 or 5 major OS upgrades (starting with Lion) have either broken some plugin compatibility and/or broken some part Logic or caused past projects to perform poorly... from my observation this has been consistent. It usually takes a few incremental OSX/Logic fixes before operation efficiency returns.

Most everyone who relies on Logic do not upgrade as soon as something new is released, many of us are still using older OS/Logic combinations that are considerably more efficient than recent offerings at least on older (2 to 5 years) hardware. Graphics requirements for smooth operation have skyrocketed.

El Capitan 10.11 Compatibility information - Important.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.