Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto 9.6.1 is back on App Store but still can't update

Hi guys.

OK, so I have the same problem a lot of people is facing: I've upgraded OSX to 10.10.5 (from 10.10.2) and my iPhoto 9.6 won't work anymore because Apple is pushing the Photos app to all customers. I did not upgrade iPhoto to 9.6.1 on time and it was missing from the app store.

The well-spread solution of looking for it under "Purchases", uninstalling 9.6 and downloading 9.6.1 from that tab won't work for me as I never purchased iPhoto: it came with the user account from the previous owner of my macbook (also iMovie), and the licenses somehow were transferred to my account. I'm on my second Macbook and I still have the apps, but they obviously won't show up under Purchases (and no, they are not 'hidden' - tried that already), even though I've updated them from time to time (the updates shows up - except for iPhoto, now).

iMovie still updates just fine till this day.

So today I've noticed iPhoto 9.6.1 appeared again as an available update for me, but clicking on it always gives "This item is temporarily unavailable. Try again later". Trying to click on the iPhoto link, it says "The item you've requested is not currently available in the U.S. store.".

These last few days I was using iPhoto in 'brute force' mode: going into Applications, right-click on iPhoto, "Show package contents", navigating to MacOS folder and opening the app from there. This has proven unstable, with random crashes and now it won't work no more, saying a inconsistency was found in my library and it needs to be rebuilt, but rebuilding won't work using this hacky method.

I'm hoping they fix the App Store link and let us download 9.6.1. We all know we need to migrate to Photos at some point, but a lot of people like me have still work to do in iPhoto (they know that, after all, they changed the whole organization paradigm in Photos).

I'm also ****** Apple won't offer email support (and I disagree the forums are up to replace it - this issue at hand is a great example of it, I've read every single post about it to no avail). Folks says you can try and call their phone support for a redeem key for iPhoto 9.6.1, but it's unlikely, and its reappearance in App Store might be a good sign anyway.

I'm also amazed there's not one single website with a link to download the package installer, or even the resulting .app file. I know the first is tightly controlled by Apple, but the second one is supposedly easy to obtain from anyone currently with 9.6.1 installed.

Anyway, for the others still facing the issue, let's hope the update in app store works eventually!

Thanks guys and sorry for rant.

iPhoto '11, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Sep 30, 2015 2:44 AM

12 replies

Sep 30, 2015 5:54 AM in response to wormangel

Did you try delete the copy on your HD first?

I'm also amazed there's not one single website with a link to download the package installer, or even the resulting .app file. I know the first is tightly controlled by Apple, but the second one is supposedly easy to obtain from anyone currently with 9.6.1 installed.

That would be piracy and frankly, only a fool would download something from such a site as you have no idea what has been done to the app and what you might be downloading along with it.

Sep 30, 2015 7:47 AM in response to Yer_Man

Did you try delete the copy on your HD first?

Actually I didn't. I don't think it will show up in the Purchased though, because I never purchased it, I inherited it from my old boss (the owner of my previous Macbook) and for some reason the licenses got attached to my account (he said at that time that's normal - it also happened to GarageBand, which is not part of iLife).

I will try it (but I'll actually keep a copy of the iPhoto.app file in an external drive, in case it doesn't work.. who knows).

That would be piracy and frankly, only a fool would download something from such a site as you have no idea what has been done to the app and what you might be downloading along with it.

Yes, actually I feel dumb now by not thinking about that before. I didn't mean to suggest piracy in any way.

I tend to forget this is (was?) a paid app for the same reason I said above. Pretty obvious why I can't find it anywhere.

Thanks for replying!

Sep 30, 2015 9:24 AM in response to wormangel

Actually I didn't. I don't think it will show up in the Purchased though, because I never purchased it, I inherited it from my old boss (the owner of my previous Macbook) and for some reason the licenses got attached to my account (he said at that time that's normal

If you're signing into the App Store with your Apple ID and not your boss's then you probably won't be eligible to get iPhoto 9.6.1. Purchases are permanently associated with the Apple ID that originally purchased it.

User uploaded file

Sep 30, 2015 9:41 AM in response to Old Toad

Yeah I would think that, but for some reason his purchases were transferred back in 2013 and I've always received updates for GarageBand, iMovie and iPhoto.

I've updated iMovie last week.

I think it's past beyond that point. I am eligible, the past has showed it and also the current 'available' update for iPhoto. I just wonder if they're gonna fix the link or if it was a mistake putting the update up there again in the App Store.. Hoping for the former.

Sep 30, 2015 9:49 AM in response to Old Toad

iMovie and Garageband were offered free with new systems so aren't in the same category as iPhoto as far as eligibility for upgrades.

It appears that you'll have to use Photos. The new version that will be released with El Capitan later this morning will have added features that many were asking for. It's a work in progress.

Oct 6, 2015 8:18 PM in response to wormangel

I am having the SAME issue, however, I have a NEW Macbook (purchased in August) and it came loaded with the most recent OS and included iPhoto, iMovie, etc. My notifications keep telling me that I have an update for iPhoto, but then when I go to update it I get the same message about it NOT being available. I do not know about this move to "Photos", especially since these are the apps that came installed on this brand new Macbook. So, what do you do in that case? I have already downloaded the new software update to X.11 (El Capitan) and thought that may be the trick, but alas that didn't work. Is iPhotos just going to be obsolete? Thanks.

Oct 6, 2015 10:37 PM in response to LandonSTL

Go to the App Store and check out the Purchases List. If iPhoto is there then it will be v9.6.1

If it is there, then drag your existing iPhoto app (not the library, just the app) to the trash

Install the App from the App Store.

Sometimes iPhoto is not visible on the Purchases List. it may be hidden. See this article for details on how to unhide it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

One question often asked: Will I lose my Photos if I reinstall?

iPhoto the application and the iPhoto Library are two different parts of the iPhoto programme. So, reinstalling the app should not affect the Library. BUT you should always have a back up before doing this kind of work. Always.

Oct 31, 2015 12:30 PM in response to LandonSTL

I have a very similar issue. My first Mac I purchased was in 2004 and it came with iPhoto and ran Tiger. Over the years I updated to all of the newer version like Leopard, Snow Leopard and Maverick and continued with iPhoto. Well this year in May 2015 my system crashed and it was unrepairable but luckily I am one of those people that ran Time Machine and had everything so when I bought my new Mac I was back up and running immediately. The operating system was Yosemite and I recently updated to El Capitan. Now my App Store shows I have an update which I cannot access. I know I own iPhoto from previous version but for some reason, probably due to I'm on a new Mac, I am unable to find it or update it. I have tried many of the fixes I found online to see if hidden and even tried the one where you create another administration account on your Mac to make it work; all unsuccessful.

Bottom line I'm okay that I don't have it, I can get by with Photo; it is what it is. My problem now is I see continually the red circle with (1) inside it telling me I have an update for 9.6.1 iPhoto. If I can't have it then why do I need to be continually reminded of it. I'd like to delete this or hide this but alas I cannot find this fix either. Super annoying.

UPDATE:

I used to get the message unavailable try again later. Then I got the message not available, the item you've requested is not currently available in the Canadian Store. Now I get this message:

User uploaded file

Well it wasn't bought by another user and I know it wasn't refunded so I am guessing somehow they cancelled it on me. Don't get it, don't get it one bit!!!!!!

iPhoto 9.6.1 is back on App Store but still can't update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.