Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you assign a keyboard shortcut to your own sub-role?

In a larger project I apply on some clips an effect (source timecode from coremelt,, very handy, it's free!).

now, on share I want to get rid of that effect, so I came up with the idea to create a subrole 'source-time'.

The timeline index will instantly mark me any clip with that effect and I can erase it ....

But ...

I can apply a subrole only by highlite clip/Inspector/roles/submenu/click.....?

The 5 standard roles have their shotcut ....

And in the keyboard shortcut modifier I can not find my subrole ....

any hints?

Final Cut Pro X, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), Pana707/Sony NEX 5/Pana FZ1000

Posted on Sep 30, 2015 3:40 AM

4 replies

Sep 30, 2015 4:28 AM in response to Karsten Schlüter

I think that a to-do marker is probably a better solution in this case, but I couldn't help replying to the original question "can you assign a shortcut to your own sub-role", anyway... 😉

The answer, unsurprisingly, is... YES (if you choose the name of your sub-role carefully enough - basically you don't want it to be something that appears in some FCP X menu elsewhere).

OS X allows you to add a keyboard shortcut to any menu choice in any application. I find this one a very neat feature, and it has been there since the beginning (I believe it may have been in the "classic" Mac OS, as well - boy, I am feeling old saying that!).

You probably can take it from here without further help, but for the sake of completeness, and because this is extremely useful elsewhere and for other forum members, I will summarize the process.

Say your role is called "My Role". System Preferences->Keyboard->Shortcuts.

User uploaded file

Click "Application Shortcuts", then click the "+" button to add a new one. Make sure you type the text of the menu you want EXACTLY as it appears in the application. That is all there is to it. Oh... and by the way, this is the way to restore the shortcut Cmd-Shift-S to be "Save As...", as it should (just type it, and choose "All Applications").

User uploaded file

Can you assign a keyboard shortcut to your own sub-role?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.