Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto update is temporarily unavailable

the update on this has been temporarily unavailable for 5 days now, how can i update this?

Posted on Sep 30, 2015 8:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2015 10:47 AM

Most everything is back, keep trying.

Late 2012 Mac mini, OS X Yosemite 10.10.5; Apple Watch, 38 mm silver AL, Watch OS 2; iPad Air 2 & iPhone 6+, iOS 9

52 replies

Oct 2, 2015 7:49 PM in response to Dave B.

Do not delete iPhoto just because you have upgraded your OS and you now have Photos. As I understand this frustrating mess and as I have experienced, you must upgrade iPhoto to 9.6.1 in order for Photos to be able to read the contents of your iPhoto library. Could someone from Apple just make the upgrade available and explain to your customers why they need to do this.

Oct 2, 2015 8:41 PM in response to todfromdacula

Aside from the fact I'm not loving the "experience" with Yosemite or El Cap, I think I've found this threads iPhotos issue (or not). I was having a similar update and not available issues with the App store and the iPhoto. Following some of the hints and advice in these posts I searched and deleted any residual folders and disabled app references to iPhoto. In my case it eliminated the constant update iPhoto notice and hasn't seemed to cause any performance issue with the OS or Photos.

Oct 5, 2015 8:03 AM in response to gronesy

You can do two things to get rid of the update notice.

1. You can update iPhoto - and this should also get past the "temporarily unavailable" message

Go to the App Store and check out the Purchases List. If iPhoto is there then it will be v9.6.1

If it is there, then drag your existing iPhoto app (not the library, just the app) to the trash

Install the App from the App Store.

Sometimes iPhoto is not visible on the Purchases List. it may be hidden. See this article for details on how to unhide it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

One question often asked: Will I lose my Photos if I reinstall?

iPhoto the application and the iPhoto Library are two different parts of the iPhoto programme. So, reinstalling the app should not affect the Library. BUT you should always have a back up before doing this kind of work. Always.

2. Or

You can delete iPhoto.

To do this: drag it from your Applications Folder to the trash - you'll be used for your password to do that - and them empty the trash.

As for the size of the two apps: iPhoto is 1+ gig as it contains all the templates for all the books, calendars, slideshow etc. The application does not contain the Photographs. They're in your iPhoto Library in your Pictures Folder.

Photos is only 50 mb as it has none of those templates at all. They're downloaded on demand and stored in an Application Support folder.

iPhoto update is temporarily unavailable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.