Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6s iTunes backup "not enough free space"

I just set up my new 128GB iPhone 6s, and apparently there's not enough space on my MacBook to back it up. I used to back up my 64GB 5s just fine, and I haven't added any content to my new 128GB 6s, so why won't it back up? I've got at least 8GB of free space on the MacBook.

My question(s) is/are: What is going on here? How much actual hard drive space do I need on my computer to do an iPhone backup (only about 60GB of 128GB actually used, though likely more in the future)? Does the backup duplicate everything (including every file) on the phone? Most of the files on my iPhone are MP3 music files (about 50GB worth, synched with the files already in my iTunes library on my MacBook), so I suspect it might have something to do with that. Does the backup process actually duplicate these MP3 music files and store them again on the computer, somewhere outside the iTunes library?

Short of the usual methods (empty trash, offload media to an external drive, use iCloud backup, use iTunes Music or Spotify to stream music - which I don't want to do) what's a good way to free up space for the iPhone backup? Can I delete old iPhone backups (some dating back six years)?

iPhone 6s, iOS 9.0.1

Posted on Sep 30, 2015 9:00 AM

1 reply

Sep 30, 2015 12:04 PM in response to crookedbill

Hello crookedbill,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

If you need to clear up some space from your Mac in order to back up your iPhone, then one option is to delete some old iTunes backups:

Delete an iTunes backup

1. Mac: Choose iTunes > Preferences.
    Windows: Choose Edit > Preferences. Learn how to turn on menus in Windows 7 and 8.
  2. Click Devices.
  3. Choose the backup you want to delete. If you have multiple devices or backups, hover the mouse pointer over the backup to see more details.
    User uploaded file
  4. Click Delete Backup and then confirm.

Find and manage your iTunes backups - Apple Support

iTunes backups

From your Mac or PC, you can make a backup of your device in iTunes. Syncing your device with your computer isn't the same as making a backup.

An iTunes backup includes nearly all of your device's data and settings. An iTunes backup doesn't include:

• Content from the iTunes and App Stores, or PDFs downloaded directly to iBooks (You can back up this content using Transfer Purchases in iTunes.)
  • Content synced from iTunes, like imported MP3s or CDs, videos, books, and photos
  • Photos already stored in the cloud, like My Photo Stream, and iCloud Photo Library
  • Touch ID settings
  • Apple Pay information and settings
  • Activity, Health, and Keychain data (To back up this content, you'll need to use Encrypted Backup in iTunes.)

Learn how to make backups in iTunes, how to find them on your Mac or PC, and how to delete backups you no longer need.

About backups in iCloud and iTunes - Apple Support

Cheers.

iPhone 6s iTunes backup "not enough free space"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.