Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't clear notifications iOS 9

Certain notifications have been stuck in notifications center for me (iPhone 6, iOS 9).

When I click the "x" the "clear" option appears, but when clicked it just goes back to the "x" and the notification remains.

Restarting the phone seems to fix the issue but then it occurs again.

It seems to happen primarily to notifications from Mail.

iPhone 6, iOS 9.0.1

Posted on Sep 30, 2015 9:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2015 1:30 PM

Hello David,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

I see where the notifications are not clearing for you. A combination of quitting the app and then a force restart of the iPhone will frequently resolve this issue. See the following articles for the steps to take these steps.

Force an app to close in iOS - Apple Support

Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Regards

31 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 30, 2015 1:30 PM in response to DavidMichaelangelo

Hello David,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

I see where the notifications are not clearing for you. A combination of quitting the app and then a force restart of the iPhone will frequently resolve this issue. See the following articles for the steps to take these steps.

Force an app to close in iOS - Apple Support

Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Regards

Sep 30, 2015 8:51 PM in response to DavidMichaelangelo

I have a single vestigial VIP email notification that will not clear no matter what I've tried. I've re-started numerous times, and even updated to iOS 9.0.2.

Problem is, it's a VIP message. I have zero unread VIP messages, and have FIVE email accounts on my phone, all of which have messages from VIP's. I feel it is unreasonable to have to delete and reinstate all five accounts to clear one notification.

Also: Does anyone out there know why contacts spuriously disappear from my contacts list? What is my phone sync'ing with that it thinks is more accurate than MY ACTUAL PHONE? Nonsense like this is pretty seriously eroding the usefulness of the device. UX fail.

Can't clear notifications iOS 9

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.