Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Missing Icon and App name(s)

User uploaded fileEver since I upgraded to my 6s+ and updated my watch to Watch OS to I see something funny under Watch Settings > Notifications Apps are missing icons, there is no name next to some icons and there are dups. The watch was setup as new and my phone was restored from icloud backup.any clue what this could be and how to remove them. I would hate to setup as new phone and lose all my imessages/texts and app settings

Apple Watch, watchOS 2

Posted on Sep 30, 2015 12:01 PM

4 replies

Oct 9, 2015 4:06 AM in response to dsgcobra

I have this problem after downloading facebook messenger. The icon is blank like that, but also, the app is stuck saying "installing" on the "Show on apple watch" screen. If I toggle it off, it says "uninstalling" forever. So far it's said "installing for 7 hours!

If I close out of the apple watch app on the iphone and reopen, it is back to saying installing. I've tried uninstalling Messenger on the phone and reinstalling (but then the watch version of the app just saying installing again), rebooting both devices and even unpaired and restored the apple watch. Now ALL of my 3rd party apps are stuck saying "installing"!!

Watch OS 2, iOS 9.0 (and now 9.0.2) on iPhone 6S.

Oct 9, 2015 2:37 PM in response to Michael Hoffman

When I downloaded the updated Facebook Messenger app, the correct icon did appear in the Watch app on the iPhone, but when I moved it to the Watch, the icon was a plain wireframe image. It was only when I took it off the Watch and put it back on, that the correct icon appeared.

Generally, there are some wider issues with app icons, with me and others reporting grey icons in the main App store too, All these problems appear to have started after the iOS9 upgrade.

I have reported both the App Store and Watch icon issues to Apple.

Dec 31, 2015 9:41 AM in response to dsgcobra

I have this problem as well, though it's only one blank app icon at the top of my list. Have tried several approaches including going through each app under Notifications in my iPhone settings and toggle them off and back on, but the phantom entry remains.

I believe this is the result of an incomplete app uninstall where an entry is left behind wherever iOS parses for apps supporting notifications. I'm sure if I could figure out which app exactly this was pointing to, I could reinstall and then uninstall again to fix the problem. However, given that there are many hundreds of potential apps in my account that have been installed at some point, this approach is just not possible.

Does anyone know of an app or utility that could help with this (outside of Jailbreaking my iphone and browsing p-list files)?

Missing Icon and App name(s)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.