Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Install Snow Leopard without Disc

I am preparing to sell my Feb. 2011 macbook pro. I had yosemite installed on it, but cleared the hard drive. When I try to install the OS for the buyer, it prompts me to enter my Apple ID and I don't want it to be tied to my account. It looks like my computer originally came with Snow Leopard, but I don't have the disc anymore. I'm also don't think my disc drive works anymore. Is there any way for me to install snow leopard for the buyer so they can then upgrade it? Would it be easier to just leave this to the buyer? Thanks!

MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2011)

Posted on Sep 30, 2015 12:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2015 7:16 AM

You can install from another Mac:

Using Target Disk Mode to install an operating system

You can also install it with an external optical drive.

I do recommend though before selling the Mac to ensure the optical drive is working and that the PRAM battery is up to date.

Sometimes the latter will fix the former.

Call AppleCare for replacement original discs. Give them your serial number.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 3, 2015 7:16 AM in response to cgbroncos113

You can install from another Mac:

Using Target Disk Mode to install an operating system

You can also install it with an external optical drive.

I do recommend though before selling the Mac to ensure the optical drive is working and that the PRAM battery is up to date.

Sometimes the latter will fix the former.

Call AppleCare for replacement original discs. Give them your serial number.

Oct 3, 2015 7:17 AM in response to a brody

From looking on the EveryMac.com web site I don't see anything about this model notebook having a PRAM battery.

cgbroncos113: Getting the optical drive repaired is kind of up to you. If you decide not to then you need to make it clear to the purchaser the drive does not function (you should, of course, double check first that it really does not), and adjust for that in the price. External optical drives are sometimes cheaper than replacement unless you are able to undertake this yourself. Many people are also finding they really don't need an optical drive that frequently, are replacing them with SSD anyway and going with an external optical drive for occasional use.

You will need to call Apple about the replacement discs. Your model came with a OSX 10.6.6 so the standard retail 10.6.3 disc will not work.

Install Snow Leopard without Disc

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.