Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Show/hide a cell with a pop-up menu based on checkbox in another cell.

I have an attendance spreadsheet for my dog daycare, with a checkbox to check when a dog customer arrives.
Another cell has a pull-down menu to put in the method of payment. (Customers pay either when they drop-off, when they pick up, or at the end of the week.)Right now it is a two step process. You click the checkmark and then go to the pop-up cell and choose the payment method. Usually the payment is "DUE" as most people pay at the end of the day when they pick-up.
Is it possible to have the pop-up cell default to "due" (the first choice in the pop-up menu)-but only when the other box is checked?User uploaded file

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Sep 30, 2015 1:42 PM

2 replies

Oct 2, 2015 7:53 AM in response to fredfon

I can't think of an easy way but I can think of a not so easy way. Here is an example. You will have to modify it a little to fit your actual table.

The formulas are shown in the header row. The conditional format for D2 is shown on the right side. It fills down to the rest of column D when you fill down to complete the column. I used white text on white background. You will use green text on green background to match the way your spreadsheet is formatted

The first item in the popup is no longer blank, it is "Due". If the checkbox is unchecked, it is displayed as white text on a white background (i.e., invisible). When you check the box, it goes back to normal formatting. If you need to use the values in the "Payment" column for something other than to look at, you may need another column (my column E) now that there is no "blank" entry in the popup.

User uploaded file

It would be cool (and easier) if you could use a formula in the conditional formatting rule but I don't think you can. If you could, you could eliminate column C.

Show/hide a cell with a pop-up menu based on checkbox in another cell.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.