Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I sync my iPhone to a new computer. The old computer drive crashed.

I used to USB sync my phone to my iPhone, but my computer crashed and the old computer drive is not recoverable. I purchased a new PC.

When I attempt to sync the phone to my iTunes, I'm told that my phone is registered to another computer. The problem is, that computer drive crashed and I can't get it back. I don't want to erase my phone, I just want to start syncing my phone to my new Windows computer.

Do I really have to erase my entire phone to sync to iTunes?

Posted on Sep 30, 2015 2:23 PM

12 replies

Oct 3, 2015 9:41 AM in response to mandpw

mandpw wrote:

This may be helpful to my present problem.

But how/where to do I copy the backup copy?

In order to sync my iPhone to both my desktop and laptop without it warning me that it's already synced to another computer, I simply copied the entire iTunes folder (usually found in the Music folder on a Windows PC) to both the desktop and laptop. Paste the copy in the same location as it was on the first computer.

roaminggnome wrote:

Copy everything from your backup copy of your old computer to your new one, then sync.

His old computer crashed and he doesn't have access to its drive, so we have to assume he does not have a backup of his old iTunes.

Oct 4, 2015 8:46 PM in response to roaminggnome

There's no need for the snide remarks. But if it makes you feel any better, then yes, I assumed he did not have a backup. And my assumptions were confirmed.

While creating a backup may be a basic task to many, it's also very common for people not to. The fact that the OP came here and made it a point to inform us that his old PC had crashed and its drive was not recoverable is an indicator that he didn't have a backup. If he had, he probably wouldn't be here.

How do I sync my iPhone to a new computer. The old computer drive crashed.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.