Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will Aperture work with El Capitan ?

I won't be upgrading to El Capitan until I am assured Aperture works perfectly on it...

Anyone have any experience since the last OS upgrade a few hours ago ?

Posted on Sep 30, 2015 2:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2015 2:33 PM

No problems so far.

But it will take some time to test all features.

8 replies

Oct 2, 2015 12:53 AM in response to léonie

I have upgraded to El Capitan my old decomissioned Mac Book Pro and hooked up an external drive on which I have Aperture and iPhoto libraries. Other than slowness (due to the age of the machine ?) all appears to work OK but I have not done extensive tests yet... I don't have the color issues I've read about in other posts...

Oct 2, 2015 2:21 PM in response to John Purlia

On screen proofing does not appear to work. Burn and Dodge appear OK.

I would like to clarify the following;

1) Aperture will eventually disapear

2) Today it still has the best Digital Asset Management system by far (I have 250,000 or so referenced pictures in numerous files, albums and smart albums).

3) I was hoping Macphun or someone else would create a similar DAM for Photos; that's not the case so far

4) Adobe and Capture One have great imaging systems; I have opted for Capture One, which has fantastic RAW management tools and an embryonic DAM system that I hope they will improve on to include a slide show presenter. I process all my RAWs with Capture One and export JPGs to Aperture - where I don't do any image processing any longer.

5) Capture One is not El Capitan ready yet... An update should be forthcoming.

So the issue as far as I am concerned is "will Aperture's DAM work with El Capitan ?". The answer appears to be yes. So when Capture One is ready for this OS, I shall convert - and continue to search for the best DAM tool...

Oct 2, 2015 2:54 PM in response to Marc P

The problem I've found (and reported) with Burn and Dodge is very subtle, and I've now been able to repeat it on 6 varieties of Mac running El Capitan. When adding either Burn or Dodge the image in the view will shift up and to the right by a couple of pixels. It's very easy to miss unless you're looking for the behavior. This shift will be repeated and accumulated for each new Dodge or Burn added to the adjustments.

To verify, try the following:

Add a Burn adjustment to an image and brush in so that the adjustment remains.

Close the Burn brush

Zoom to 200%

Select the Retouch brush

Choose Clone and set the softness to zero and the radius to something around 30

Option click an are of your photo that is relatively solid to use as a source

Move the cursor to a contrasting are of the photo

Press and hold the mouse button and you should see that the cloned pixels are offset from the target cursor by several pixels above and to the right

Like I said, this has been easily reproduced by me, but others have not reported the problem, so I don't know if the issue I am seeing is specific to HOW I use Aperture. I can report that I'm seeing the problem with both RAW and JPEG images, and images from 7 to 20 megapixels.

Will Aperture work with El Capitan ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.