Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Search result - clicking episodes don't play!

search behaviour is broken - tapping a Podcast Episode from a list of search results doesn't play the podcast!

Instead it just opens up the podcasts main screen and full list - useless!

IF I tap an episode I want to play that **** episode NOT WASTE ANOTHER 10 mins trawling through the feed for the one I'm after again!

Posted on Sep 30, 2015 3:02 PM

3 replies

Sep 30, 2015 5:03 PM in response to htatla

Can you explain a little more? What kind of search are you trying to do? If I search on the iPhone for "The Gist", for example, it gives me "Top Hits: Slate's The Gist." I select that. It opens the Podcasts app and displays the unplayed episodes of the Gist. I press one and it starts to play. That's pretty much what I'd expect it to do.

I search on the iPhone for "Serial" (a podcast I've never downloaded). It gives me several episodes from podcasts I do listen to that talked about Serial; note those episodes aren't actually on my phone. I select one, and the Podcasts app opens to that podcast, with the relevant episode. Again, I press it, it starts to play, with a bit of lag (I'd expect some, seeing as how it needs to access the internet and get the episode). If I want to see the real Serial podcast, searching on my iPhone won't give that to me; I need to go to the Podcasts app.

Or maybe you mean searching within the Podcasts app, using the "Search" pane? If I search for "Mr. Robot", it gives me a long list of Mr. Robot-related podcast episodes. If I select the "main bar", then it takes me to that podcast, not that episode, and yes, scrolling through the list would be a hassle (I believe it was the same behaviour on the previous iteration). But I can also press the little cloud/download icon, and the episode is downloaded. After that it'll be on your phone and relatively easy to find.

Oct 2, 2015 1:39 PM in response to Lost in Asia

Hi Lost in Asia,

Yes I think you touched on the issue im facing briefly there; which is that in search results, tapping a podcast [episode] (and let me stress I'm searching for actual episodes to play on my iPhone) from the [podcast episode] section of the search results screen - don't play the actual episode!

Instead (Annoyingly) I am taken to the Podcast series' main screen - app is essentially then forcing me to trapse through the entire feed history, to look for the episode that only just came up in the search results on the previous screen!

Yes the previous screen has option to download the given episode - but I don't wanna download- I want it to play the dam thing!

This is a broken search flow and needs to be fixed.

let me give you an example use case:

1. I want to listen to a podcast about "Electromagnetism"

2. I enter "Electromagnetism" in search section

3. Search results show giving choice to view "All", "podcast episodes" or "podcasts"

4. I choose episodes

5. A "Stuff you should know" episode on Electromagnetism Is available

6. I tap the episode

7. Instead of now starting to play the episode - the SYSK podcast main screen displays

8. I now have to waste 10 mins of my life trawling through their full feed for the episode

i hope this explains the problem

thanks

HT

Search result - clicking episodes don't play!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.