Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restored Time Machine to external - now what?

I had a hard drive failure on my iMac during a power outage. All the data seems to be there but it does not boot the OS. I repaired using DiskWarrior and it verifies fine using Disk Utility but it still does not boot. (It actually did reboot after the outage, but was running strangely so I tried to restart and that is when it failed). I had an old system installed on an external so I booted from that and made sure I copied everything from my computer over just in case Time Machine missed something. I didn't have any trouble accessing any files.

I have a Time Machine backup from before the power outage so I installed that onto a different clean external drive. It is working fine outside of a previous issue I had, which I have now solved. I have been working from this external for two days now.

My question now is, how do I backup this external onto the same Time Machine backup that my iMac hard drive was backing up to (and that was restored onto this external)? I am hesitant to turn Time Machine on because I do not want to mess with my old backups, or have two full backups. I just want to backup everything htat has been added or changed since installing the new version on Monday. What I want to do is create a better version of my system on Time Machine that I can then restore back onto my internal hard drive.

I am also wondering if there is anything I can copy back to my internal to make it actually boot, since all the files are still ok?

Should I take this opportunity to install Yosemite on my iMac? Can I install a clean version then restore my files from Time Machine? I'm not sure how upgrading that works. There is a lot of old stuff on my computer that I probably don't need, but I also do not want to start completely over because of preferences and data I need in Mail etc. Actually it seemed like Time Machine did not copy all of my prefs for various apps onto the new install which has been kind of frustrating.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2), null

Posted on Sep 30, 2015 2:22 PM

4 replies

Oct 1, 2015 6:17 PM in response to hippehop

I tried running Time Machine and it seemed to be re-backing up my entire user folder, so it doesn't make the connection that this is the same user as my original even though the name is the same.

So what I need to know is how do I convince Time Machine that this is the same user so it only backs up the new info and not 200gb of stuff that is already backed up?

Oct 3, 2015 10:25 AM in response to Eric Root

Thanks for the info. I thought maybe I could 'trick' it because they are named the same and contain a mirror image of what is on there already (obviously since it restored from the Time Machine). When I first turned on Time Machine it gave me an alert that two disks were named the same so I thought it would work.

In the meantime I've removed a lot of the larger folders from this new HD so that it will only back up 100gb not 200gb (more or less) and I have plenty of room on my Time Machine partition for that. But when I ran Time Machine it is taking forever, after 8 hours it only had gone through 8gb so I'm looking into that issue now.

Restored Time Machine to external - now what?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.