Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Scene length confusion

I have a scene on the time line and a title over it which is the same length. I want to know how long the scene is so I look at the info window. For the title, it says it is 1:12 (which is 1.5 seconds at 24 fps). The video, however, says it is 1:30 because it is showing me based on 60 fps frame rate. Why is the video not displaying the time based on 24 fps? The project itself is 24 fps and the video, in this case, is actually a still image held.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), 3.4 GHz, Fusion drive

Posted on Sep 30, 2015 3:10 PM

8 replies

Sep 30, 2015 4:52 PM in response to Cartoonguy

The video isn't actually video, but a still image, which is assigned by FCP a frame rate of 60fps, though stills of course don't actually have a frame rate. The title shows a duration of 1:20, one second and 20 frames, which is based on the project duration. Titles have no frame rate. The still image is 1:50, one second and 50 frames, which on a 60fps item is the same duration as 1:20 at 24fps. What really matters is the duration in the project, which appears at the bottom of the project. The title duration will match the project duration. If you turn on the clip skimmer in the timeline and skim the two items you'll see the difference in frame counts.

Oct 2, 2015 12:37 PM in response to Cartoonguy

TThe dashboard normally displays the timecode of the project. That can be set to display as a frame count, 60 frames for your two and a half seconds at 24fps. If you select a clip or group of clips in the timeline, the duration of the selection is displayed at the bottom of the timeline window. The display will show you a frame count, number of frames for the selection, total number of frames for the project. The inspector will also show the duration based on the frame count, but this can be very misleading because that the frame count based not on the project's 24fps, but the actual number of frames in the clip. So a clip that's two seconds at 24fps will be 48 frames in duration while a clips that's two seconds at 60fps will have a duration of 120 frames. In the timeline the selection duration for each clip will be 48 because it's based on the frame count of the project.

Scene length confusion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.