Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Some music that I synced to new iPod touch doesn't show up in artist view, etc.

I don't know if I can explain my problem sufficiently, but here goes: I just got a new iPod. I synced music to it, but noticed that some music doesn't show up in "Artist" view, etc. At first, I thought some music didn't sync over to the iPod. However, I've discovered it's all there, if I look hard enough. All of the music shows up in a playlist I made; however, only some of the music shows up in "Artist" view, or "Album" view, .... Also, some albums split into two when transferring to the iPod, for some reason. I have double checked all artist's names, etc. in iTunes, and they are there in iTunes, but some don't appear on the iPod. I made a playlist to get the music I wanted on the iPod. This is the way I did it on my old 2nd generation iPod, and it worked perfectly back then: I simply synced the playlist, and everything I wanted appeared on the iPod and I was able to view by song, album, or artist and ALL artist's names showed up--even if the song was from a compilation of various artists!!! I'm not one who does a lot with playlists. I usually look for an artist or album and just play what I want that way (like the old days when you popped a CD into the player!) I expected that once I got the music to the iPod, the software would sort it out like it did with my 2nd gen. iPod a few years ago. As it is, the music on my new iPod Touch might as well be on a cheap iPod Shuffle, since it's not organized in a manner that's useful to me!! The way it is, I have to know exactly what's on the iPod (which I currently do, but I'll forget down the road), and search using various criteria until I find the song I want to play.

I have tried various ways of syncing: the playlist (as I mentioned above), albums, etc., making sure the songs I want are checked, but I still end up with the same mess on my iPod.

I should probably mention that most of the music is from CDs that I imported to my computer. Some of the music is exactly the same and from the same library as the music I successfully put on my 2nd generation iPod years ago. I am using iTunes version 12.2.1.16 and syncing to a 6th generation iPod Touch.

Posted on Sep 30, 2015 3:36 PM

8 replies

Oct 2, 2015 5:50 PM in response to stormlvr

I noticed the same problems with my new iPhone today and I think I found the fix. First, DO NOT call Apple Support. I won't get into details, but they really messed up my files. I first called them at 2:00. It was 8:30 before i finally restored everything.

For me, the problem was hidden purchases. I have no idea how they became hidden, since I was listening to them just a few days ago, but they were.

Follow the instructions here:

Hide and unhide purchases in iTunes or iBooks on your Mac or PC. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201322

Now try to sync. If that doesn't fix it, try this:

Redownload or transfer your iTunes Store purchases from an iPhone, iPad or iPod to a computer https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201267

Oct 6, 2015 7:33 PM in response to Phil Vaughn

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, my problem is with music from CDs. Music that I purchased from iTunes shows up just fine (as

far as I can tell, so far, anyway). I'm thinking of going into iTunes and trying to change the name of the problematic albums to something that I think might put the song in the right place, but I'm afraid I might just cause more organizational problems for myself, so I haven't tried that, yet. I, also, don't think that would solve all of my problems (for instance, the problem with albums showing up as two albums on my iPod).

Oct 22, 2015 3:41 PM in response to stormlvr

Hi,

I encountered the exact same thing today after I bought my new iPod Touch 6th Gen, I've spent all day trying to figure out why my CD music I put onto my iTunes would either show 4/5 albums all budged together in a 'Unknown Album' or wouldn't show up, even though in my iTunes library all my music was organised, so after nearly 5 hours, I did the last resort and I deleted a album at a time from my iTunes library and then simply dropping it back into iTunes and syncing the iPod and there it was on my iPod, back in the right places and I did this for all the albums and song that were not in the correct albums.

Hope this helps you also, sorry if some of it doesn't make sense, I'm writing this up on my phone, If you need any help just give me a message.

:-)

Oct 25, 2015 3:39 PM in response to stormlvr

Have you checked to see if these albums are tagged as "Part of a Compilation"? If they are, then you may only be able to access them via the Compilation or Album menu selection. Depending on the device you have (iPod vs. iOS device) and the version of software, there may be a setting to show artists on Compilation albums in the Artist menu. But in iOS 9 (and since 8.4, when Apple Music was launched) this setting is no longer available in iOS so you can only access such music from the Compilation or Album menu.

It sounds like the problem in your case is primarily CDs, and if so then the problem typically starts when you rip a CD in iTunes. iTunes uses the Gracenote database to get CD track info, and it is notoriously faulty when it comes to the compilation tag. Gracenote is a crowd-sourced database and is pretty good, but the compilation tag is often wrong (a compilation is a multi-artist album, not a Best Of album by one artist ... I've even seen an artist's studio release albums marked as a Compilation).

If the affected songs truly are not on compilation albums, then fix your tags. If they are compilations, then you can only get to them via the specific menus if you're running iOS 8.4 or later.

Oct 23, 2015 6:13 PM in response to rockmyplimsoul

Compilations are, certainly, part of my problem. Before seeing your post, I had discovered that if I unchecked "compilation" in the "get info" pane, the artists would appear. Doing that, subsequently, lists the album name several times (once for each artist), when in "album" view--guess I have to decide which organization works better for me. What's odd, though, is that once in a while a song on one of these "compilation" albums shows up under the artist, even with "compilation" checked, while others on the same compilation album do not appear. When checking info for each song, they all have the same type of info, so no identifiable difference to explain why some show up and others don't (at least to me). I, also, find it odd that these same albums/songs/artists were correctly displayed on the 2nd generation iPod touch. My guess is there was a change in one of the iTunes or IOS updates that caused things to work differently??? I've been double-checking the info on all of the music that I'm having trouble with. Interestingly, I've found that simply going through and clicking the various tabs in the "info" pane (i.e., sort, etc.) without actually changing any of the information shown, sometimes results in the songs showing up--as though the links just needed to be reestablished.

I, also, had a problem with a "greatest hits" album for one artist. I discovered that, although the artist 's name was listed for each song and listed with the title of the album in "album" view (which was what I looked at originally), it wasn't listed as the "album artist" in the "info" pane, so I entered the artist name in that field and that solved the problem for that album.

I still have a problem with some albums showing up as two albums on my 6th gen iPod touch. Some of these are compilation albums, while others are albums from a single artist. They appear as one album in iTunes on my computer, but when synced to my 6th generation iPod, for some reason, it appears as two albums, with the songs from the album divided between the two randomly. I'm thinking that doing something along the lines of what CraigJKey suggested might help with this, by possibly reestablishing that certain songs belong together on a particular album. I do have the original cds for a couple of these, and I'm going to try to dig those up and reimport them. There are a couple, however, that I no longer have the cds.

Oct 24, 2015 7:59 AM in response to stormlvr

Umm, strange...

What I did, for example I copies my arctic Monkeys albums from cds to iTunes yet all 4 albums were mixed together on my ipod after I synced them, although in the ITunes library it's self on my Pc everything was how it should be.

So I deleted all the songs from Arctic Monkeys from ITunes library and then (I have a windows Pc) I went back to my music folder and copied all the songs back to my iTunes library and then synced the Ipod and they were all in the right order.

I had the same problem with all 7 beatles albums I had and it worked with them Aswell.

Only ever had this problem with the new 6th Gen. Hope you find a solution!

Oct 25, 2015 3:30 PM in response to CraigJKey

Ok, so, I found one of the cds and imported that, again, after deleting it from iTunes. I didn't do anything with the other albums that were showing up as two albums on the iPod, because I was waiting to find the other cd that I know I still have; and also, I started doing other things. Here's the thing: one of the other things I did was update my iPod to iOS 9.1. This morning, I was looking through my music on the iPod and I noticed that the albums that I was having a problem with no longer appear as two albums! They appear as they should! I can only assume that updating to iOS 9.1 corrected the problem!

Thanks, again, to those of you who took the time and effort to try to help me with this--I really appreciate it!

Some music that I synced to new iPod touch doesn't show up in artist view, etc.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.