Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IOS 9.0.1 GPS not working

Hi there,

My gps stopped working when i updated my iphone 6 to 9.0.1.

Well let me rephrase that, my gps works as in telling me where to go, but my icon doesnt move when im driving so its not accurate. Waze, maps, they all give me directions, but it won't tell me when to turn when i need to turn, or if i need to make a u-turn it won't tell me to do so. It provides the initial map but other than that it doesn't do anything else. My girlfriend didn't update her iphone 6 and her gps and waze works fine. We both tried using our gps at the same time, and hers is accurate but mine provides the direction, but then keep saying to try going outdoors even though i am outdoors!!!

Can anyone help me with this?!?! i also notice my wifi is a lot weaker in signal then before alsoo...

iPhone 6, iOS 9.0.1

Posted on Sep 30, 2015 4:24 PM

19 replies

Oct 17, 2015 12:15 AM in response to nguye719

I'm having the same problem and It's rather dangerous, having trouble traveling while navigating in big cities, taking turns into wrong parts of town. I had to revert back to a list of turn by turn directions, but my GPS is not calibrated correctly clearly, it always states im about a quarter mile away, doesnt matter what app im using, I have done a hard reset, messed with gps location settings to no avail.

Oct 29, 2015 3:48 AM in response to cbitone

Hi. I'm having exactly the same. Intermittent GPS signal, Waze working one minute then saying "NO GPS" the next, Google and Apple Map locations are not accurate or show a huge radius where I could be, Waze will not plan or start a route, I could go on.

No subsequent update has fixed it. I've done the following to no avail:-

1 - Turned off locations Services followed by hard reset, then turned them back on.

2 - Network Settings Reset.

3 - Returned phone to factory defaults via iTunes then tested GPS

4 - Restored phone with backup stored on iTunes (Cloud backup stopped working the day of the iOS 9 update!!)

None of these have fixed the issue. These were all suggested by the Apple rep on the support line! I'm off to the Genius Bar tomorrow. This should be a free of charge repair or replacement considering its Apple's iOS update has effectively buggered up the GPS.

Oct 31, 2015 4:10 AM in response to cbitone

HI. Went to the Genius Bar. Explained the situation and all the solutions I tried. Because I called within 5 days of my warranty expiring in the first instance the advisor was very nice and spoke to apple and agreed to replace my phone Even though I was less than 5 days over my warranty period.

all sorted with a replacement phone which I have now restored and the gps is working fine. Hope you all get similar results from Apple.

Nov 20, 2015 12:27 PM in response to nguye719

As my fix above didn't work...I went to the Genius Bar...their suggestion was pay $299 for a new device, even though the hardware diagnostics said all was good. When I said that's crazy, I was then told to wait for the next iOS update, it's probably software. They seem to have no idea.

When the issue first occurred (with iOS 9.0) my phone was in warranty, since waiting for iOS 9.1, my phone is now out of warranty. Pretty annoyed.

I will continue to wait for another software update........

Dec 7, 2015 10:51 AM in response to nguye719

I had this same problem and consulted with other people in my company that did not have the problem and back traced what I did that they did not do.... Our IT department recommended turning off "Wi-Fi assist" in an attempt to lower the data usage. When I turned Wi-Fi assist back on, all my GPS problems went away and my GPS now works perfectly again. Go to settings, then cellular and then way at the bottom of the cellular setting is an option for WI-FI Assist... I bet yours is slid over to the left (not green). Slide it to the right and go take a drive!

IOS 9.0.1 GPS not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.