Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ipod cannot be used with itunes requires newer version

I'm getting error message from iTunes "ipod cannot be used, requires newer version of iTunes"

I am running the latest version 12.1.2.27 of iTunes

I am running the latest iOS 9.0.2 on my iPod

How do I fix this issue?

iPod touch (5th generation), iOS 9.0.2

Posted on Sep 30, 2015 3:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2015 1:20 PM

It sounds like your PC must be running either Vista or XP. You need to download iTunes 12.1.3 for iOS 9 support: Apple - Support - Downloads

3 replies

Oct 7, 2015 11:33 AM in response to Marvin Martianul

Thanks Marvin - this helped me out, too!

You need an IT degree just to filter through the heap of info on the support sites!

But what a relief when you find your answer and I appreciate it and directing me to the website for iTunes downloads.

I figured I would take a look through questions already asked first, but yeah, the biggest challenge is that iTunes prompts users to download upgrades; when in fact, this can be problematic for users when we are not running the most current version of Windows or Mac OS, etc.

I had backed up my phone before upgrading to the latest operating system and was crushed that I could not sync my phone and so I used hubby's computer to do back-up and restored phone and did some other trouble-shooting, but then lost my playlists; so now, all is right with the world again!

Relief! 🙂

ipod cannot be used with itunes requires newer version

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.