Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Magic Mouse bluetooth mouse keeps disconnecting

After upgrading to El Capitan my Magic Mouse keeps disconnecting every few minutes from my Macbook Pro. This never happened before the upgrade. In the Console I see the following messages when this happens:

2015-09-30 4:02:46.000 PM kernel[0]: [HID] [MT] AppleMultitouchDevice::willTerminate entered

2015-09-30 4:02:46.000 PM kernel[0]: [HID] [MT] AppleMultitouchDevice::stop entered

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), OS X El Capitan (10.11), Magic Mouse

Posted on Sep 30, 2015 4:06 PM

37 replies

Oct 4, 2015 5:12 AM in response to Proggie

I've had similar problems with my Mac mini - including stuttering mouse movements, and frequent pauses and mouse movement lockups on the screen.

I've managed to minimize the problem by attaching a simple, extremely old USB mouse from a scrapped PC. It works, but...

The really, really interesting thing is, that as long as the PC USB mouse is connected, my Apple Bluetooth mouse behaves much more civilized. Not perfect, but civilized and usable.

Weird!

Oct 6, 2015 12:39 PM in response to Proggie

So my magic mouse is no longer disconnecting. The only thing that changed is that an external USB hard drive that I always had plugged in died, and so I disconnected it. Is it possible that the hard drive was in the process of failing and somehow was messing with the OS, causing the bluetooth connection to get interrupted?

Oct 22, 2015 4:02 AM in response to Proggie

I too have this problem on my MacBook Air since the recent upgrade to EC release. Very annoying and frustrating. Usually takes a few clicks on the mouse to reconnect. Some times it can disconnect again almost immediately, some times it works for 10 or more minutes. Mouse batteries are at 80% so its surely not a battery level problem. I don't have any external storage devices attached. I do have a USB Apple keyboard and a external display.

Nov 4, 2015 1:30 AM in response to Proggie

I am using 10.11.1 on my 13-inch Mid 2012 non retina MBP connected to a large monitor. I constantly get the bluetooth dropping out on my Magic mouse, Magic trackpad and wireless apple keyboard. It can take 10 seconds or more to reconnect. I'm using a wired Ethernet connection.

What I have also observed is if I take my machine to another location without the wireless bluetooth stuff and this time with my WiFi switched on and connected on the 5Ghz frequency everything works and I occasionally get messages that the wireless Bluetooth devices cannot connect probably because they are out of range. When I go back to my usual desk my MBP has problems connecting any Bluetooth equipment. I've even gone to the extreme of taking the batteries out of the bluetooth devices. The only remedy is a reboot and then all works fine.

I have wondered if the number of wireless networks using the 2.4Ghz frequency range impacts my Bluetooth connectivity but Apple doesn't seem to have a tool to test this.

I sometimes end up using a Logitech Keyboard and Mouse with RF device plugged into the USB port and that works absolutely fine. I am thus a bit disappointed with the Apple kit.

Nov 13, 2015 9:25 PM in response to Proggie

I too struggled with this disconnecting problem for many weeks trying every solution I could find including upgrading to "El Capitan". I gave up in the end and reverted to using my "Targus Bluetooth Laser mouse" Then an idea came to me.

Previously when using the Targus mouse all other bluetooth mice (I also have a "Mighty Mouse") have been turned off. So I thought why not try the Targus and Magic mouse at the same time. Here is the sequence.

Turn OFF Magic Mouse

Turn on and connect Targus mouse

Turn ON Magic Mouse

Leave Targus on while testing the Magic for maybe a few hours (whatever you feel happy with)

When satisfied all is well turn the Targus OFF.

For me now all is perfect with the Magic so after a few more hours I decided to RESTART my Mac, (Leave Magic turned on and other mice off)

Magic started straight away on restart and has stayed working perfectly for 5 days now. I did intend to test this routine with the Mighty Mouse but as all is happy I did not want to push my luck but I feel that if you have or have access to any other bluetooth mouse then this should work.

I really hope this works for you...

Nov 14, 2015 5:14 PM in response to Proggie

I also am having problems with my magic mouse as well as my apple wireless keyboard. They seem to drop for no reason. Sometimes just several clicks or keystrokes get them reconnected. Sometimes I have to turn off the mouse or keyboard and then turn on again to connect. Getting frustrated. This all started with El Capitan and now I'm 10.11.1 and still no fix.

Magic Mouse bluetooth mouse keeps disconnecting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.