Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Repair/Clone brushing broken under El Capitan

Installed El Capitan this after noon and discovered a fairly serious problem with the brush when working with Retouching.

When using either the Clone or Repair brushes, the area of effected when brushing is offset from the actual position of the cursor, both up and to the right of the actual cursor position by several pixels. Needless to say, this is a fairly serious problem for precise repairs. Other brushing does not seem to be effected; only the Retouching brush.

I reported the problem to Apple as an El Capitan bug, but I'm wondering if others have experience the same thing.

iMac and MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.6), 20th Anniversary Mac, 128K Mac, original Apple II

Posted on Sep 30, 2015 4:54 PM

6 replies

Sep 30, 2015 6:18 PM in response to firstlaunch

I did quit and reopen Aperture, but I did not attempt to reprocess the image. I'll give that a try later tonight. Yes, the problem is seen zoomed to 100% and (more noticeably) to 200%, which is usually the zoom factor I use for fine brushing. The problem is also most observable if you set the softness of the brush to zero, and use the Clone brush. And, yes, there are a half dozen other adjustments on my test image.

Glad to see that someone else is not seeing the problem though.

Sep 30, 2015 11:00 PM in response to John Purlia

Okay, I've figured out what was causing the Repair brushing problem. Repair actually works fine. However...

Adding a Burn or Dodge to an image offsets the entire image up and to the right by a couple of pixels. Try it! As soon as you select Burn or Dodge you will see the entire image shifted, and the shift is repeated for each and every Burn or Dodge you add to the image. As such, brushing any other adjustment once Burn or Dodge is present will be off by several pixels.

Also... it would appear that Undo of any adjustment action no longer works, either from the menu or as a cmd-Z.

I'm going back to Yosemite.

Repair/Clone brushing broken under El Capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.