Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes search limited to 100 items?

I was searching for a song in the iTunes store called Superhero. I got 100 results for the search. I decided to sort the name list alphabetically, but discovered that whether I sort A-Z or Z-A, the songs starting with S were beyond the 100 that iTunes returned. Is this normal behavior for iTunes to only give you 100 results and not all of them? Sort is pretty useless if you can't even see the songs that start with the letter of your search. And why the limitation to 100? I don't remember this happening in the past.

OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), iTunes 12.3.0.44

Posted on Sep 30, 2015 5:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2015 7:18 PM

This is so incredibly annoying. I just keep thinking that I am doing something wrong. Why the heck would Apple want to stop audiophiles from browsing? I know that I have not purchased songs I was looking for beyond the top 100. What kind of search engine does this in 2015? And, you are correct...it never used to work this way.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 30, 2015 7:18 PM in response to flcoasterguy2

This is so incredibly annoying. I just keep thinking that I am doing something wrong. Why the heck would Apple want to stop audiophiles from browsing? I know that I have not purchased songs I was looking for beyond the top 100. What kind of search engine does this in 2015? And, you are correct...it never used to work this way.

Nov 30, 2015 9:58 PM in response to flcoasterguy2

This limitation has made the iTunes store completely useless for me. If I can't remember the name of a song by an artist who has more than 5 or 6 albums, chances are I'm not going to find it in the list if it happens to start with some letter in the middle of the alphabet. This is beyond ridiculous. Whoever made the decision should be prosecuted, and maybe shot, not just fired.

Dec 22, 2015 5:38 AM in response to ed2345

Thanks, Ed. This really helped, and I never would have figured it out myself. An extra step, which I must have done inadvertently in the past during some searches. Indeed, if I search for an artist name, and then click "see all" in the song menu, it limits the search to 100 songs. However, if I click on the artist name, in the song list, for example, and then click "see all" in the song menu of the new window that opens, it lists all the songs available. Strange glitch perhaps, but delighted to now know how to navigate through it. You have removed a source of ongoing frustration. Thank you.

Dec 22, 2015 3:53 PM in response to DanG77

DanG77 wrote:

Thanks, Ed. This really helped, and I never would have figured it out myself. An extra step, which I must have done inadvertently in the past during some searches. Indeed, if I search for an artist name, and then click "see all" in the song menu, it limits the search to 100 songs. However, if I click on the artist name, in the song list, for example, and then click "see all" in the song menu of the new window that opens, it lists all the songs available. Strange glitch perhaps, but delighted to now know how to navigate through it. You have removed a source of ongoing frustration. Thank you.

Dan,

Glad it helped! Enjoy the music.

Ed

Mar 31, 2016 6:36 PM in response to ed2345

Choosing "Artist" and then "Show All" only helps when you know who the artist is. I'm into folk music, and those songs are covered by a lots of artists. When I'm searching for more versions of a song, all I have is the title, and often the words of the title appear in the titles of other songs, so the results can be quite long. If iTunes can return 400+ songs for a particular Artist, then it can just as easily do it for a straight keyword search. Anything less is stupid. OK, return 100 and then include a link for "next 100 songs" or something like that.

My list of frustrations with Apple software is getting longer every day, and an awful lot of them are in iTunes.

Oct 16, 2016 4:13 PM in response to keatho

keatho wrote:

Hey,

Thanks for this, i got the search to show all songs after clicking the artist name. But i'm still getting the 100 limit issue when trying to search the song name when i don't know the artist, so i can't click the artist name for the search fix.

Any ideas?

cheers

Keatho,

The procedure described above only works on the Artist. You can try your search in other online music stores that do not have the 100 limit. For example, at Amazon Digital Music, a search on "Listen To Your Heart" returned over 1000 songs:

User uploaded file

iTunes search limited to 100 items?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.