Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

kernel[0]: decmpfs.c:250:_decmp_get_func: tried to access a compressed file of unregistered type 8

My console is constantly filling up with this message. Looking at a few search results I've found for this error I set Spotlight to not check anything but I'm still receiving this message…about 200+ per second. It will either say "type 8" or "type 7." What can I do to stop this?

Thanks,

Steve

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), iTunes 12.3

Posted on Sep 30, 2015 7:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2015 6:33 AM

Console: continuously getting "decmpfs.c:250:_decmp_get_func: tried to access a compressed file of unregistered type 7" from kernel

I suspect this is related to the HFS+ file system compression support

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/a-hidden-snow-leopard-feature-hfs-compressio n.780570/

It is possible something got corrupted on your disk, and now a file has incorrect metadata indicating a kind of compression that does not exist and this is throwing the error.

The first link might help you find the offending file.

Or you may want to backup your system to an external disk (better yet, make 2 backups), then restore your system. Hopefully the copy out and back will not bring the offending compression error with it. A clone will be the easiest way to restore. Carbon Copy Cloner, SuperDuper, Disk Utility -> Restore are 3 cloning options. But it is also possible to use Time Machine and the recovery partition.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 1, 2015 6:33 AM in response to Steve Fiskum

Console: continuously getting "decmpfs.c:250:_decmp_get_func: tried to access a compressed file of unregistered type 7" from kernel

I suspect this is related to the HFS+ file system compression support

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/a-hidden-snow-leopard-feature-hfs-compressio n.780570/

It is possible something got corrupted on your disk, and now a file has incorrect metadata indicating a kind of compression that does not exist and this is throwing the error.

The first link might help you find the offending file.

Or you may want to backup your system to an external disk (better yet, make 2 backups), then restore your system. Hopefully the copy out and back will not bring the offending compression error with it. A clone will be the easiest way to restore. Carbon Copy Cloner, SuperDuper, Disk Utility -> Restore are 3 cloning options. But it is also possible to use Time Machine and the recovery partition.

kernel[0]: decmpfs.c:250:_decmp_get_func: tried to access a compressed file of unregistered type 8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.