Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No Email or Internet Accounts after upgrade to El Capitan

When first running Mail after the upgrade, it appeared to be importing all my mail boxes.

On completion I had no mail boxes at all and was being prompted to create a new account. Checking in System Preferences/Internet Accounts I found I no longer had any of the 27 accounts that were previously there.

I know I could recreate all these accounts and restore my data from backup, but that is a LOT of work with almost 20 years accumulated mail to be sorted and rearranged

My only recourse was to back out to Yosemite.

There is no way I should be having to recreate these mail boxes.

I suspect the root cause is that the Internet Accounts were not updated as part of the El Capitan upgrade and Mail then deleted all the mailboxes. I guess I'm stuck on Yosemite until Apple come up with a fix for this

This seems to be a major FAIL for El Capitan.

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Sep 30, 2015 9:53 PM

5 replies

Oct 1, 2015 2:54 PM in response to Bryan Christianson

And I think I found the root cause of the problem - the migrator crashed with no errors reported other than a crashdump. I have filed a bug with the full crashdump attached

Process: internetAccountsMigrator [353]

Path: /System/Library/InternetAccounts/internetAccountsMigrator

Identifier: internetAccountsMigrator

Version: 256

Code Type: X86-64 (Native)

Parent Process: UserAccountUpdater [320]

Responsible: loginwindow [95]

User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2015-10-01 16:58:02.717 +1300

OS Version: Mac OS X 10.11 (15A284)

Report Version: 11

Anonymous UUID: 80B4B6A1-250E-ECC7-D2EF-960D76F08233

Time Awake Since Boot: 200 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)

Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000

Application Specific Information:

*** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSGenericException', reason: '*** Collection <__NSArrayM: 0x7ff6d842ac70> was mutated while being enumerated.'

terminating with uncaught exception of type NSException

abort() called

Oct 2, 2015 10:53 PM in response to Bryan Christianson

Problem solved - I fortunately had a complete CCC clone of the Yosemite system. Maybe this will also work with TimeMachine

1. Create a new admin account and login to it

2. Delete the old account and its home directory

3. Import the old account again using Migration Assistant from the backup

4. Reboot and login to the (now restored) old account

5. Open Terminal and at the prompt run /System/Library/InternetAccounts/internetAccountsMigrator (i.e. the program that produced the CrashDump published earlier)

6. Open System Preferences/Internet Accounts and verify that email accounts are all present.

7. Run Mail

Hope that helps somebody - it worked for me.

Oct 7, 2015 6:15 AM in response to Bryan Christianson

I'm uncertain whether it's the same issue but, after upgrading to El Capitan, I no longer have any accounts...in mail, internet or calendar (I think these are all one and the same). However, I do still have all of my mail folders.

So should I just add my accounts again - will it cause duplication of mail folders? - or is there a fix?

Oct 19, 2015 3:59 PM in response to Bryan Christianson

Well, I'll be darn!

Bryan's suggestion was spot on!

I had this issue. Even though my user accounts are located to an external disk, not the system disk, everything was working OK, when I booted from Yosemite, but when I booted from El Capitan, my Internet accounts were gone. So, I tried Bryan's suggestion. When I first run it, I had su-ed in terminal and the results were not what I was expecting. I then tried it with my regular user account (which is an admin account) and everything went fine, all my Internet accounts appeared.

OK, with one small exception: my carddav account didn't appear and setting it up as such, didn't work. But when I tried setting it up as an OS-X server account, voila! Everything back to normal.

Thanks Bryan!

No Email or Internet Accounts after upgrade to El Capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.