Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6s - Excessive RAM usage - How do I clear up RAM on my iPhone 6s.

i Have an app called System Status that tells me how much RAM is being used and how much is available, it is mostly taken up by "other" what is this? I have tried everything, from deleting old apps to clearing caches wherever I could, to deleting all messaging data and clearing safari history and cookies and none of this has helped, i only have about 140mb of free RAM at a time and yes I have double clicked the home button and killed all apps.

iPhone 6s, iOS 9.0.1, 128GB Space Gray

Posted on Sep 30, 2015 9:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 23, 2015 5:40 AM

I have the exact same problem/question.

with all apps force closed and every feature turned off, I still have 400 MB free RAM out of 2 GB. ( iPhone 6s, iOS 9.1 )

4 replies

Nov 23, 2015 8:22 AM in response to Mamareza11

Mamareza11 wrote:

I have the exact same problem/question.

with all apps force closed and every feature turned off, I still have 400 MB free RAM out of 2 GB. ( iPhone 6s, iOS 9.1 )

You are under the mistaken impression that what you call a "force close" does anything useful. All it does is remove the app from your view. It does NOT close the app, unless the app wants to close. And the app can still run in background after your remove it from the Quick Launch screen. There's also no point in removing any of the built in apps, as they are always loaded and ready to run when needed (and using RAM).

You are also under the mistaken impression that the amount of free RAM matters. iOS is a Unix kernel operating system, and in the 40+ years since Unix was invented by Bell Labs scientists its memory management has been perfected to a very high degree. Any attempt by you to try to "improve" on it will just interfere with the Unix memory management daemon. So delete any apps that pretend to tell you about available RAM; they do more harm than good.

iPhone 6s - Excessive RAM usage - How do I clear up RAM on my iPhone 6s.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.