Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

no disks are listed when trying to install OSX Lion on a new hardrive

I had to get my hard drive replaced on mac book pro (2011) and now am trying to reinstall OSX Lion via internet recovery. When asked to select the disk where I want to install Mac OSX no disks are listed. Was my new hardrive installed incorrectly?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)

Posted on Sep 30, 2015 10:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2015 7:32 AM

Hi there mlr99,

From what you describe it sounds like you are trying to install Lion on your newly installed HDD replacement but its not showing as a disk when you try to actually install Mac OS X. That indicates to me that the drive has not yet been formatted as Mac OS Extended Journaled, so it is not ready for Lion to install onto it. This section of the following article will help you get that drive erased and formatted properly so you can continue with the installation:

How to reinstall OS X on your Mac

1. Before you begin, make sure your Mac is connected to the Internet.
  2. Restart your Mac. Immediately hold down the Command (⌘) and R keys after you hear the startup sound to start up in OS X Recovery.
  3. When the Recovery window appears, select Disk Utility then click Continue.
  4. Select the indented volume name of your startup disk from the left side of the Disk Utility window, then click the Erase tab.
  5. If you want to securely erase the drive, click Security Options. Select an erase method, then click OK.
  6. From the Format pop-up menu, select Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Type a name for your disk, then click Erase.
  7. After the drive is erased, close the Disk Utility window.
  8. If you’re not connected to the Internet, choose a network from the Wi-Fi menu.
  9. Select the option to Reinstall OS X.
  10. Click Continue and follow the onscreen instructions to reinstall OS X.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 1, 2015 7:32 AM in response to mlr99

Hi there mlr99,

From what you describe it sounds like you are trying to install Lion on your newly installed HDD replacement but its not showing as a disk when you try to actually install Mac OS X. That indicates to me that the drive has not yet been formatted as Mac OS Extended Journaled, so it is not ready for Lion to install onto it. This section of the following article will help you get that drive erased and formatted properly so you can continue with the installation:

How to reinstall OS X on your Mac

1. Before you begin, make sure your Mac is connected to the Internet.
  2. Restart your Mac. Immediately hold down the Command (⌘) and R keys after you hear the startup sound to start up in OS X Recovery.
  3. When the Recovery window appears, select Disk Utility then click Continue.
  4. Select the indented volume name of your startup disk from the left side of the Disk Utility window, then click the Erase tab.
  5. If you want to securely erase the drive, click Security Options. Select an erase method, then click OK.
  6. From the Format pop-up menu, select Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Type a name for your disk, then click Erase.
  7. After the drive is erased, close the Disk Utility window.
  8. If you’re not connected to the Internet, choose a network from the Wi-Fi menu.
  9. Select the option to Reinstall OS X.
  10. Click Continue and follow the onscreen instructions to reinstall OS X.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

no disks are listed when trying to install OSX Lion on a new hardrive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.