Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes won't play after El Capitan update on my mac

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.1)

Posted on Sep 30, 2015 10:46 PM

12 replies

Oct 1, 2015 8:12 AM in response to Limnos

Hi! I have what I think is a similar issue. my iTunes app will start up and display a window containing albums, but the functions , even the menu bar items are frozen completely, even the apple menu items will not open. I have to force quit iTunes to continue to use the computer or switch to an alternative open window to use the computer. I have noticed that there is a message window that appears when I launch iTunes that asks for my iCloud password. If I do not enter the password, then the menu bar functions will respond. Once I input the password, the iTunes window and menu functions freeze until force quit.

Oct 4, 2015 3:02 PM in response to Limnos

For me, iTunes hangs every time I try to play something, download something, do anything. It's now started hanging all on its own when I just launch it. It will work if I disconnect my WD MyPassport USB drive - but since that contains my iTunes Media folder, that doesn't really help. And don't say I could copy the 2TB Media folder onto the 12GB spare on my Macbook.

Oct 6, 2015 6:11 AM in response to gregory99

I had this issue as well. I would launch iTunes and would get a black screen (it was launching into fullscreen mode). It wouldn't progress beyond that. I tried starting iTunes while holding the option key (the command to select a new library) and surprisingly, iTunes started and is now functioning properly. I didn't actually select a new library, the original library loaded.

Oct 11, 2015 11:18 AM in response to gregory99

I had the same problem so I did as gbradhopkins.com suggested - tried starting iTunes while holding the option key (the command to select a new library) but used my current library. As soon as the iTunes pages loaded, I clicked on my Apple ID then logged off the iTunes store; all went back to normal. I then logged back on and all seems to be working fine!

Feb 13, 2016 9:41 AM in response to nanmg

I tried something and it worked for me, everything back to working fine, I clicked up on the Safari icon, just to the right of the apple, top left of screen, and scrolled down to QUIT ITUNES, I clicked on that and then it worked fine, playing The London Years, as I type, sounds great. Give it a try, it's a simple fix and may be the ticket, can't hurt anything.

All the best out there....:O)

Feb 25, 2016 1:27 PM in response to issueman09

Hello Issueman09,

Did you try the thing I put in there, worked for me, here it is again:

I tried something and it worked for me, everything back to working fine, I clicked up on the Safari icon, just to the right of the apple, top left of screen, and scrolled down to QUIT ITUNES, I clicked on that and then it worked fine, playing The London Years, as I type, sounds great. Give it a try, it's a simple fix and may be the ticket, can't hurt anything.

All the best out there....:O)

Best,

Bill ; O)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.