Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Start up Disk Corrupt. OS X 10.6.8

Help anyone?

I have an old mac pro, its a workhorse of a machine and disaster struck 2 nights ago, when the start up disk just stopped, I took it to a store and yes its corrupt,

My question is how can I install a new operating system on my mac pro 2,1 (2007) it will only install 0sx 10.6.8.

I have formatted a internal drive on a different machine and that is ready to become the new start up disk, I am in the middle of creating a bootable USB stick with the operating system on it.

How to I start the mac pro with the usb stick?

Is this possible?

I hope to be able to plug the usb in select a key which will access the usb and OS X installer and begin again?

Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

Thankyou

Simon

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 1, 2015 2:02 AM

5 replies

Oct 1, 2015 8:39 AM in response to Ignorethisfilms

Hey Simon,

This can, indeed, be done by holding Option at startup to start up to the Startup Manager. This will allow you to choose any bootable volumes that are connected to the system as the startup disk. The only caveat is that the USB stick needs to be imaged properly from a Mac OS X 10.6.x install disc or full installation of Mac OS X 10.6 in order to boot your Mac Pro from it.

Option ⌥ Start up to Startup Manager.

Startup key combinations for Mac - Apple Support

Let me know if this helps!

Oct 4, 2015 6:13 AM in response to CarlAVII

Hi Allen

thanks for your reply, the issue i am having is that i need to replace the start up disk drive and install a operating system on it,

So far I have downloaded multiple snow leopard versions and partitioned a usb stick and copied it onto it, using the guid and the used the disk utilty and instructions to do it properly, strangely all the icons of snow leopard on the install files have the stop logo greyed out, suggesting that they do not work on this computer, the computer that i am using to download a new operating system is running lion, i reformatted a drive to use as the start up disc, i insirt that into the mac pro (2,1) bay and insirt the usb stick with the install osx snow leopard file, i start it up holding down the option key and that brings up the usb stick drive and click to start install, but it always fail, i tried with Leopard as a troubleshoot , but every file has a greyed out stop button over the leopard/snow leopard icon on the install file....

So i think the solution lies in why is the file greyed out?

thanks again for your reply, it always helps to get people views and I appreciate the time you gave...

any suggestions on work arounds, i no longer have the snow leopard install disk, (i threw it out 3 months ago as of course i was never going to need it)

cheers

simon

Start up Disk Corrupt. OS X 10.6.8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.