Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to install El Capitan: "No packages were eligible for install"

During installation of El Capitan I receive the error: "OS X could not be installed on your computer. No packages were eligible for install."

I am presented with the option to restart, after which the computer enters the installer again and I am shown the same error. Holding down the option key during reboot gives me the option to enter the OS X installer or the Recovery disk. From the Recovery disk (version 10.11) I am able to use Disk Utility to verify that everything is in order with the hard drive. Attempting to use the Reinstall OS X option fails and I am given the message: "An error occurred while preparing the installation. Try running this application again." Repeated attempts have shown the same error.

The laptop is a mid-2009 MacBook Pro (previously) running the latest version of Yosemite (10.10.5).

Ideally I'd like to either continue with the installation of El Capitan or return to the version of Yosemite already installed on the laptop. At the moment the laptop is unusable. I have a time machine backup of Yosemite I could revert to if need be.

Anybody else experience this problem? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11), Mid-2009

Posted on Oct 1, 2015 1:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2015 10:21 AM

I was able to finish the installation after creating a bootable El Capitan USB drive on a different computer (using these instructions), and booting into it by holding the Option key during startup. I then selected the Install/Upgrade option before receiving an error that stated: "This copy of the Install OS X El Capitan application can’t be verified. It may have been corrupted or tampered with during downloading." After researching this error, I was able to find a workaround by entering Terminal (via the Utilities menu) and resetting the system clock to the correct time (using these instructions), then proceeding with the installation.

After that, the installation preceded normally, albeit VERY slowly. I left my laptop running for several hours before it became usable. Now however everything is working normally again. Even if things appear unresponsive, be patient – waiting appears to pay off.

Hope this is useful to someone. Cheers!

23 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 1, 2015 10:21 AM in response to Kriedi

I was able to finish the installation after creating a bootable El Capitan USB drive on a different computer (using these instructions), and booting into it by holding the Option key during startup. I then selected the Install/Upgrade option before receiving an error that stated: "This copy of the Install OS X El Capitan application can’t be verified. It may have been corrupted or tampered with during downloading." After researching this error, I was able to find a workaround by entering Terminal (via the Utilities menu) and resetting the system clock to the correct time (using these instructions), then proceeding with the installation.

After that, the installation preceded normally, albeit VERY slowly. I left my laptop running for several hours before it became usable. Now however everything is working normally again. Even if things appear unresponsive, be patient – waiting appears to pay off.

Hope this is useful to someone. Cheers!

Oct 4, 2015 6:40 AM in response to Kriedi

HI kriedi,

The instructions given by you worked well for me.

what I did was to go into terminal mode and updated the system date to current date, then I proceeded with the installation as I did previously.

this round, it went through successfully and I have my El Capitan up & running after it rebooted.

thanks for the help

rgds

clemeny

Oct 5, 2015 7:46 AM in response to Kriedi

Very helpful Kriedi!

I had the exact same problem on a unibody MacBook running Yosemite. The process you outlined worked perfectly for me. But . . . as you rightly said it is very slow and patience definitely paid off. I also went into the terminal mode ahead of the install and reset the date and it worked as advertised.

Thanks for the rescue,

best

Macinbike

Oct 5, 2015 6:52 PM in response to Kriedi

Thank you for working through this problem, which seems to be a less-than-common issue out there. I did not need to create a USB boot drive when this error occurred on my 2009 iMac - the date change alone in Terminal solved the problem. Once the date was changed, the install reinitiated and completed successfully. Before creating the boot drive, try the date change in Utilities > Terminal first and restart the install.

Dec 3, 2015 9:34 AM in response to Kriedi

Thank you, Kriedi! I was getting a totally different error at home so I read where some people brought their computers to work to use a different network. I brought my computer to work today & received the "no packages eligible for install" error. I found this thread, corrected the time, and now I'm a happy camper again! 🙂

Jan 30, 2016 12:06 PM in response to cklchin

I updated two computers from Yosemite to El Capitan with no problem. Then I tried to update a friend's computer from 10.6.8 Snow Leopard to El Capitan and I got caught up in the limbo where it keeps downloading but won't install and worse yet, won't go back to the previous system. I didn't create a bootable usb drive but I did reset the date from the year 2001 to the current year of 2016 and then the upgrade went through smoothly. I went through the "Utilities" and "Terminal" to reset the date. One trick I missed on my first attempt is that the command is "date (space) and then the year" I left out the space between the date and the year command digits and it didn't work on the first attempt. I can't imagine why an OS upgrade would reset the computer date back to the year 2001 but that seems to be the problem. While I was caught in "no man's land" between Snow Leopard and El Capitan, my friend thought I had ruined her computer and I am so grateful for the advice about resetting the terminal date that came to my rescue!

Unable to install El Capitan: "No packages were eligible for install"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.