Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphoto 9.6.1

Since yesterday the Mac App Store alerts me about an update available for iPhoto.

I have checked which version I have onboard: 9.6, while OSX suggest me tu update to 9.6.1.

Obviously iPhoto is no longer available to download from the Mac App Store, because of the release of the new Photo last spring.

Any idea for stopping Mac App Store to offer me the non-existent upgrade?

Thank you.

PS: The problem started before upgrading to El Capitan. I assumed the upgrade will solve it: this wasn't the case.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch,Early 2015), OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 1, 2015 2:34 AM

15 replies

Oct 1, 2015 2:51 AM in response to zeta3

Where have you tried?

If you don't wan too use iPhoto, just delete it and you won't be offered any more updates.

If you do:

Go to the App Store and check out the Purchases List. If iPhoto is there then it will be v9.6.1

If it is there, then drag your existing iPhoto app (not the library, just the app) to the trash

Install the App from the App Store.

Sometimes iPhoto is not visible on the Purchases List. it may be hidden. See this article for details on how to unhide it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

One question often asked: Will I lose my Photos if I reinstall?

iPhoto the application and the iPhoto Library are two different parts of the iPhoto programme. So, reinstalling the app should not affect the Library. BUT you should always have a back up before doing this kind of work. Always.

Oct 1, 2015 3:13 AM in response to Yer_Man

I don't want to sound harsh, but you dind't experience the same issue and I assume you haven't try to reproduce it too.

You're suggesting to delete the app and download it again, but it is not available to download from the mac app store as I already said.

So, you're not really helpful right now. 😉

Have someone solved the problem with the non-existent upgrade?

Oct 1, 2015 7:54 AM in response to zeta3

I don't want to sound harsh, but you dind't experience the same issue and I assume you haven't try to reproduce it too.

No I didn't experience the issue as I updated when the update was released back in March. But I have tested the solution. It works if iPhoto is on your Purchases List. . Believe it or not, you're not the first person on here with this issue. The solution I offered has worked for hundreds (and I do mean hundreds) of others.

but it is not available to download from the mac app store as I already said.

Yes, but you're vague and imprecise, I'm afraid. Many folks have come on here saying that the app is not available to download on the Mac App Store, only to discover that it is on the Purchases List. Now, as you don't specifically state that you also tried the Purchases List, I took a guess that perhaps you might not. As I have only what you post to work from I - generously - gave you the benefit of the doubt and offered not one but two different solutions.

So, to clarify, the update exists.

You're welcome.

Oct 5, 2015 5:08 PM in response to zeta3

Hi zeta3

I was experiencing the same issue as you. App store reporting an update being available for iPhoto but it fails to apply it with a 'try later' or 'not available' message.

I fixed this on my Yosemite MBP by going to Launch Pad, I had both iPhoto and Photos present. Drag iPhoto to the waste basket and confirm delete.

The update flag from the App Store was immediately cleared and it hasn't bugged me again since.🙂

Hope this helps.

Oct 6, 2015 12:28 AM in response to BACBarry

In other words the bit in red:

Go to the App Store and check out the Purchases List. If iPhoto is there then it will be v9.6.1

If it is there, then drag your existing iPhoto app (not the library, just the app) to the trash

Install the App from the App Store.

Sometimes iPhoto is not visible on the Purchases List. it may be hidden. See this article for details on how to unhide it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

One question often asked: Will I lose my Photos if I reinstall?

iPhoto the application and the iPhoto Library are two different parts of the iPhoto programme. So, reinstalling the app should not affect the Library. BUT you should always have a back up before doing this kind of work. Always.

iphoto 9.6.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.