Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture OnScreen Profiling incorrect on El Capitan 10.11

After updating to the first release of OS X 10.11 El Capitan, the OnScreen Profiling feature in Aperture 3.6 shows a Viewer image that is too light and low contrast. The images in the Browser (thumbnails) look normal, but selecting any image results in a washed-out image in the Viewer. If I turn off OnScreen Profiling, the image in the Viewer appears normal again. It’s not a problem with the profile selected, as I tried all kinds of profiles with the same result. Usually I set the profile to the printer paper I’m using, but I get the same result if I set it to anything.

I’m not sure if I should regenerate images. Certainly don’t want to ruin everything in the Library! Thought I’d see if anyone else knows how to get back to OnScreen Profiling with good results. If so, how did you do it? Thanks.

Posted on Oct 1, 2015 5:30 AM

17 replies

Oct 1, 2015 5:53 AM in response to Rick Lang

I'

Rick Lang wrote:

After updating to the first release of OS X 10.11 El Capitan, the OnScreen Profiling feature in Aperture 3.6 shows a Viewer image that is too light and low contrast. The images in the Browser (thumbnails) look normal, but selecting any image results in a washed-out image in the Viewer. If I turn off OnScreen Profiling, the image in the Viewer appears normal again. It’s not a problem with the profile selected, as I tried all kinds of profiles with the same result. Usually I set the profile to the printer paper I’m using, but I get the same result if I set it to anything.

I’m not sure if I should regenerate images. Certainly don’t want to ruin everything in the Library! Thought I’d see if anyone else knows how to get back to OnScreen Profiling with good results. If so, how did you do it? Thanks.

I'm no expert on this but have you checked to see if there are any further updates for the camera data?

Oct 2, 2015 11:06 AM in response to gevans

I don't know if I would go that far, but Apple's focus has definitely changed. Where, in the past, Steve Jobs liked to target software to the creative people he admired; those with standards every bit as high as his own, the new Apple focuses on consumers and aims for a lowest common denominator. When Aperture was first created they brought in some well-admired photo professionals so they could better understand workflow, archiving, and image creation. They do the same thing now, but the folks they bring in have different needs — photos as disposable moments to be shared and forgotten.

Welcome to the new world order.

Oct 2, 2015 11:20 AM in response to Forrest Jerome1

Forrest Jerome1 wrote:

How could one tell. Is there anything left that still uses ColorSync?

Yes, the ColorSync Utility (of course) still uses ColorSync. I just did some tests on my iMac, and definitely see lightening of images when I apply different profiles to images in CS Utility, so this is very likely a deeper problem that Apple will fix.

Oct 4, 2015 10:27 AM in response to Livegame

Livegame wrote:

Well for me was to turn of on screen proofing...

Livegame,

I didn’t completely understand your post. It sounded like you solved the screen-proofing issue simply by turning the proofing “off and on” (your “turn of on screen proofing” statement)? This certainly hasn’t worked for me (and others).

Possibly you meant that you ”turned off” screen proofing and then you saw a more “normal” image. This is what I (and others) observe. This is just a “work-around,” not really a solution. Perhaps you could clarify if you actually solved the issue.

I find it interesting that others (i.e. Leonie) have reported that they are unaffected by this issue on their hardware. I have seen it on my mid-2010 MacBook Pro (17”) and my mid-2012 MacBook Air (11”). Both have both been upgraded to OS X 10.11. I have not yet upgraded my Early 2009 Mac Pro where my main Aperture library resides. I’m waiting to make sure there will be no disaster with Aperture (seems unlikely so far - I can live without onscreen proofing).

Anyone besides Leonie NOT experiencing this problem? Of course, they probably have no reason to be looking at this forum!

Dave

Aperture OnScreen Profiling incorrect on El Capitan 10.11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.