Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my final cut pro X closed down. after opening it, my project had disappeared, and a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark appeared next to the file name. the file has disappeared. where and how can i find it again?

my final cut pro X closed down. after opening it, my project had disappeared, and a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark appeared next to the file name. the file has disappeared. where and how can i find it again?

Posted on Oct 1, 2015 6:03 AM

13 replies

Oct 1, 2015 6:47 AM in response to Russ H

Thanks Russ, this is exactly what it said - final cut had to shut down unexpectedly. I have asked Tom some questions re his suggestions, to understand better what he is asking me to do.

Do you have any idea of why the system would crash like that? This happened a couple of times yesterday as well. I have taken everything off my hard drive and only have this programme and this film on it, a 50 min film, so that there would be no problems with space.

Oct 1, 2015 6:49 AM in response to Solange65

It resets the application to its default state. The preferences and caches can easily become corrupted when an application and/or a system closed unexpectedly. Those files then don't get written properly as they do when you use the standard quit process. Resetting the application opens with the default set of preferences. Yes, you want to do that.

Oct 3, 2015 4:55 AM in response to Solange65

I just had the same exact thing happen to me. I am using OS X El Capitan, Final Cut Pro X 10.2.2

What I found interesting is that if I go to create a project with the same name I get a message that states it already exists and to choose a different name. My library states that I have 13 projects in that library. None of those 13 are my missing file (I should have 14.) When my computer crashed I had 14 projects in my library. Also, it was the only library I had open so I know it is not in a different library.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oct 3, 2015 11:12 AM in response to ArtistRelations

I just got off the phone with Apple. I went to a backup of the library file and got the last version of my missing project. It did not have all the project but enough to make me happy. Here is what you do:

1- Click on the library that is missing the project

2- Go to the File Menu (left side top) and choose: Open Library > From Backup...

3- A new dialog box will open with a bolded headline of "Open Backup of "Your Library Name Backup"

From the pulldown menu choose a time that has a valid backup & click Open

4- Your backup file will load

Click on your missing project in the backup library

5- Go to the File Menu (left side top) and choose: Copy Project to Library (the name of the library that was missing the project.)

6- Close your backup library

I hope this helps!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.